Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-15-2005, 09:38 PM

Default Re: So I just found out...

[ QUOTE ]
why did you post this [censored] if youre not stressed. i only want to read this dumb crap if youre about to kill yourself from stress.

[/ QUOTE ]
these are my thoughts as well. in fact I don't even understand what your question is if you're not stressed about it. because if you're not stressed you clearly already know the answer. le sigh!
Old 12-15-2005, 11:54 PM

Here's the Rough Draft, Feedback Welcome:

sorry about the formatting if you actually try to read this

“My life is going to change today.” When waking up in the morning, this type of thought does not generally wander into someone’s mind very often. I can say for myself that I have never woken up with this type of thought in my mind. Nevertheless, our lives do often change dramatically over the span of just one day. Life-changing experiences always have a way of finding us, and they often seem to find us in the most unusual places and at the most unexpected times. Most people assume, however, that they will only experience these life-changing events in the “expected” places such as churches, mosques, and synagogues.
Of all the places to experience a life-changing event, a sweltering, crowded bus in downtown San Francisco would have to be one of the least expected. It was a bright, sunny day in the middle of July and the heat was absolutely unbearable. As I walked onto the bus, I looked for the nearest open seat and sat down immediately. Directly across the aisle from me, a middle-aged man sat down next to a small, old woman. The man seemed to be exhausted: his shoulders were slouched, his eyes were half closed, and he walked extremely slowly for a man his age. Strangely enough, however, a vibrant, optimistic smile seemed permanently imprinted on the man’s face, which contrasted quite sharply with the irritated, grumpy expressions on most of the other riders’ faces.
While the elderly woman was moving her cane and purse to make room for the man, a quarter fell out of her pocket and onto the floor. The coin rolled around for a few seconds and then came to a stop directly beneath the woman’s seat. After the woman realized that she would not be able to reach the quarter, she shrugged her shoulders as if to say, “Oh well.” The man who had sat down next to her, however, took much more interest in the quarter. When he heard the small clink from the coin hitting the floor, the man’s head immediately jerked toward the sound. He watched intently—leaning forward to get a better view—as the quarter circled back underneath the woman’s seat. When the quarter finally stopped rolling, the man leaned even farther forward in his seat and slowly stretched his right arm under the seat in the direction of the quarter. Even after completely extending his arm, however, the man was still unable to reach the quarter.
The woman, after watching the man’s attempt to grab the coin, offered him her cane so that he could hopefully reach the quarter. Sure enough, the man leaned forward once again and got the quarter immediately. With all of the effort that the man had put into getting the quarter, I assumed that he was planning to pocket the coin right away. After grabbing the quarter, however, the man promptly held it out to the woman while saying, “I believe this is yours, ma’am.” The woman nodded, and then said in reply, “Yes, it’s mine. But it would have been lost if it wasn’t for you. Go ahead. Keep it.” The man, looking slightly shocked, put the quarter into his pocket and then said to the woman, “Thank you. God bless your heart.”
After a few more minutes of quiet conversation with the woman, the man got up to exit the bus. Just before getting off, however, the man turned around and said with an even bigger and brighter smile, “I told myself this morning, ‘My life is going to change today.’” As the man left, I could do nothing but sit there, speechless and motionless. One quarter had made all the difference in the world for that man. But then again, it wasn’t even the quarter that had made the difference. It was his own attitude…(need to work on the conclusion)
Old 12-15-2005, 11:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
(all I have left to do is write a 5000 character essay, which is about 1 page single-spaced i think)

[/ QUOTE ]

Does it sound like I don't think I can do it? Its gonna be a piece of cake, but my parents are freaking out.

[/ QUOTE ]

So why even post this is you aren't freaked out? Tell your parents to read our responses if they are the ones who care.
Old 12-15-2005, 11:59 PM

definitely work on the conclusion..your writing is good but as of this point you dont actually discuss how this has changed you, u just describe what happened
Old 12-16-2005, 12:01 AM

I vomited a little in my mouth.
Old 12-16-2005, 12:02 AM

Print out my post. Put it in a self addressed stamped envelope, and send it it along with your essay.

Rest assured you'll get it back in a few months.
Old 12-16-2005, 12:03 AM

already in at madison and georgetown so i'm not too worried bout not going to college and flipping some burgers
Old 12-16-2005, 12:06 AM

I would plagiarize this:

link

[ QUOTE ]
My extended family has enjoyed the good fortune of encountering the Fossilman on more that one occasion (though I have yet to experience it). About 5 month’s back my cousin Ray stopped in to his regular dry cleaners to drop off a load of shirts (light starch only for Ray) and pick up a comparable load, laundered with light starch, pressed of course, and folded.

Ray was quite surprised to see the Fossilman at the counter, ticket in hand, awaiting his shirts or sweaters or what have you. The Fossilman gave a friendly glance at Ray and a little sigh escaped him, as if to say “they’re running a bit slow today, or having trouble locating my things . . . what are you going to do, though?” Ray offered a friendly smile in return, thinking to himself of the story of our uncle’s (for Ray was not the child of the aunt and uncle I described earlier, but the child of another of my Dad’s brothers) glorius pepper steak, that of the night that my aunt enjoyed the finest veal she had ever had. Ray knew, as all of us in the family knew, that had the Fossilman not intervened to set things right regarding our uncle’s pepper steak, our aunt’s loving memory of that veal would have been obscured by the unhappy and unsatisfactory dining experience, and our extended family would be poorer by one less happy memory and one less heart-warming tale.

The young lady working the counter returned with several packages for the Fossilman – they appeared to Ray to consist mostly of sweaters. Ray handed over his ticket and unceremoniously dumped his dirty shirts, saying “6 of them today; light starch as always; folded.” She disappeared for only a moment among the racks of hanging shirts and the cranking din of the conveyer belts, but seemingly after only a few seconds returned with five freshly laundered shirts, pressed neatly, hanging in their little plastic bags. Ray was dismayed. The Fossilman was still verifying the contents of his belongings.

“I asked that my shirts be folded” Ray told the young lady. She punched a few keystrokes into her computer and responded “Yes, I see that someone has made a mistake. If you wait just a moment, I’ll fold these right away.”

But Ray was frustrated and not in a very good mood. “But now these shirts will have hanger marks in the shoulders – they’ll poke up in odd places and not have the fresh, clean look that only fold marks across the midriff provide.”

“I’m sorry, sir. If you can wait a few additional moments I will have the shoulders re-pressed to remove any evidence of their time on the hangers” she replied.

“But I don’t have 10 minutes to stand around waiting for you to re-press my shirts” Ray retorted grumpily.

It was then that the Fossilman intervened. The Fossilman had completed his inventory, determined apparently that all was in order, and donned his famous “Cats Eyes” sunglasses prior to exiting the shop into the warm sun. “Excuse me, but I couldn’t help but overhear. Might I suggest that you allow the young lady to press just one shirt, removing any evidence of the hangers? You may then take that shirt, complete with newly created midriff fold lines, and be assured of having a proper shirt for at least tomorrow, and it will only take a moment. You may return this evening as you pass by again, or perhaps tomorrow at your leisure, to reclaim the additional folded shirts.” Ray was dumbstruck – both at the simple and compelling logic shared by the Fossilman, and by the fact that he had once again troubled himself to help set things right for our extended family. “And,” the Fossilman continued, “perhaps, young lady, you could arrange to have these dirty shirts laundered, light starch, and folded, on a 2-hr or same-day service, but only charge this man for a normal laundry which otherwise might take several days? As a suitable way of rectifying the unfortunate error of one of your colleagues?”

“I would be very happy to do so,” said the young lady behind the counter.

“I think that is a fine solution,” said Ray. And he impetously grasped the Fossilman’s hand and gave it a hearty shake, saying “thank you, Fossilman, for resolving this situation so amicably.”

“It was nothing. Happy to be of help.” And with that he strode confidently into the summer sun, his packages of fresh, clean sweaters tucked carefully under one arm. Ray watched him glide away, seemingly floating off into the shimmer of heat rising from the surrounding blacktop. He knew that once again the Fossilman had put his own interests aside to assist our extended family, and that he had done so only on the basis of his good and true heart.

I’m not sure I can say my opinion of the Fossilman changed based upon these two events, as I had very little to no opinion of him before. But, I am sure you can see why neither I nor my family will hear ill of the Fossilman. In my book, he’s as solid as they come; a prince among men.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 12-16-2005, 12:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I would plagiarize this

[/ QUOTE ]

This is now the best and only answer.
Old 12-16-2005, 12:10 AM

I think I'll take advice from the people who have actually gone to college, tyvm