Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Other Poker Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-04-2005, 01:59 PM

Default Re: Advice for draw poker online?

Well, most of the standard sources that I have on draw (Malmuth, Caro, Zadeh, Weisenberg) are geared towards limit draw and I've had to make most of my "adjusting" to pot-limit on my own. You have to be a bit tighter in pot-limit and you need to be very careful with raising after the draw, because you can end up facing a huge reraise and a very difficult decision. In general there is more bluffing and people trying tricky plays in pot-limit than limit.

As far as the 24h players, they range from excellent to absymal. I've not played above the 1/2 Euro level and mostly at the 0.25/0.50 and 0.50/1 Euro level. In the small games, most players aren't that good and fit into one of two basic stereotypes. They are either too loose-passive, calling too much and rarely betting unless they have a great hand; or they are too reckless, overvaluing marginal hands and trying to bluff too much. As you move up, the players get trickier. I haven't played the games bigger than 1/2, but they go up to 5/10 (and a 25/50 Euro that goes once a week) and there are some players in those games that I don't really want to play with-they mix up their play and are fearless.

Limit is easier than pot-limit to learn (especially since you describe yourself as a limit holdem player), but I enjoy the pot-limit games more. It's sort of like the difference between limit and no-limit holdem-the limit game is more mechanical and mathematical, while the big-bet games give more opportunities to play "the player" rather than the cards. The risks and rewards are bigger in the pot-limit games.

Why not try both? Start at Paradise, but try the small 0.25/0.50 pot-limit game at 24h. If you want a really easy but boring game, play the $0.10/$0.25 pot-limit game at Planet Poker. This game is very passive but won't do much to prepare you for more difficult games. If you like tourneys or SNGs, 24h has low buy-in draw tournaments and SNGs that you might enjoy. Since you are from Sweden, you will find that 24h is the busiest during your evening since most of the 24h players are from Sweden or other Scandanavian countries. If you want to play with me, you'll have to stay up until the middle of the night to wait for me to get home from work, or play the weekend [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 04-05-2005, 05:40 PM

who are you kidding about u r not good if Big Pooch sits. He is a table whore, lol he there isnt a table out there he doesnt sit on hehe!
Old 04-05-2005, 09:51 PM

Well, it's probably true that you're not all that good if I
sit at the game. Do you see why? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

But seriously, I won't sit at every table, especially if I
am 7-, 8- or 9-tabling (the most I have tried is 11) since
I don't like to play 3-handed because draw is so mouse
intensive (have to click on every discard) and I would be
involved in more than 2/3 of the hands at the table if
there aren't 4 players.

And apologies for those lulls when it seems that the pooch
is sleeping; he's probably clicking on a plethora of
windows because he's been dealt big slick umpteen times.
Sometimes I do only play 3 tables on Paradise, especially
if I am at a 40-80 table ( I do pay some attention there!).
Old 04-12-2005, 12:24 PM

Ok, thanks. I guess I'll try to tackle the PL draw games at 24hpoker when my game has got better, I still have a long way to go to be really good at limit draw, so first things first I guess. PL draw seems like a lot of fun though...
Old 04-12-2005, 01:45 PM

The 0.25/0.50 pot-limit games at 24hare not very tough at all-neither are the 0.50/1. I haven't played higher than 1/2, but I've seen some players that I know are very good in the higher games (2/4, 5/10).

In addition to ring games and multi-table tournaments, 24h has sit-and-go tournaments (SNGs) available. These are single table tournaments with 6 players, 1st wins 2/3 the prize pool and 2nd wins 1/3. I've played a few and have done well so far. Most of the ones that fill up are "turbo" tournaments where the blinds increase every 5 minutes, so you have to gamble some and the tournaments go very quickly. The entire tournament will only take about 30 minutes to play.

I've played 5+0.25 and 1+0.10 turbo draw SNGs-I've noticed the 1 Euro sit-and-goes are only offered during the evening in the US (which would be the middle of the night in Europe). They also offer 5+.50 and 10+1 euro SNGs that have a normal blind structure as opposed to a quick "turbo" structure.

I'm not sure why the 1 Euro SNGs only seem to be offered during the US evening-maybe 24h is trying to lure more American players with micro-limits and freerolls. Many 24h freerolls are at times that are only good for North Americans and Swedish insomniacs [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 04-16-2005, 12:46 AM

Welcome to the forum [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 04-16-2005, 12:59 AM

I always get an error when trying to play more than 3 tables on Paradise, how are you playing more? Or are you playing multiple sites?
Old 04-16-2005, 01:00 AM

don't forget to try out the planet pot limit game.. it is easy pickings and will give you a taste of PL play, at least.
Old 04-16-2005, 11:24 AM

It's unfortunate that Paradise only allows playing up to 3
tables. One of the plusses of 24h is that you can play more
than 4 tables (the most I have tried is 5 there). I think
Paradise ought to upgrade their software to allow players
to play four tables, although admittedly, this won't affect
the majority of players (they can always play at another
site).

Usually, I play two sites and rarely three (when I am at
PStars, ub or a Party skin clearing a bonus).
Old 04-18-2005, 02:43 PM

Unfortunate?.... Pfttttttt
.. I'm way glad they don't allow peeps to sit at more than 3 tbl's!!! Sum people are simply just too slow.
I definatly dunt wana wait for sum fish to decide what he should do on another tbl..while I'm sitting there "Eyebrows raised" watchin his fool azz nic blink for 30 seconds!! Time is Money! Watch what yer askin for Pooch, ya might be one of those sittin there thumpin ya forhead sayin " Stupid..Stupid..Stupid!!...lmao...cya on the tblz.
[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <--- Dunt ya love it?

Crazy