Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-13-2005, 09:00 PM

Default I raise for a free SD

UTG is 27.40/15/1.3 after maybe 60-80 hands.
BB loosy 40/10 after 30 hands.

What i remember is that i had been calm and not played that many hands. I was lazy with reads, surfing and chatting on MSN. But i had a feeling that UTG was a bit aggressive, capable of c/r with pairs other than TP but not maniac in any way, maybe being able of taking stabs, but that was just my "feelings".

5 handed 5/10

UTG limps, CO folds, i raise OTB 7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], BB calls, UTG calls.

Flop6.5SB) 8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

i bet, BB call, UTG raise, i call(raise?), BB call.

Turn6.25BB) 4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

BB check, UTG bet, i raise, BB fold, UTG calls.

River10.25BB) K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

UTG checks, i check.

Do you like it? I liked the hand when i played it but now i'm thinking of maybe betting the river, what do you guys think?
Old 12-13-2005, 09:17 PM

Default Re: I raise for a free SD

How can you raise OTB and then be first to act on the flop?
Old 12-13-2005, 09:46 PM

On the turn, when you tried the turn raise, I put him on A8/A6,66-22. I don't think he'd C/R into two opponenets without a made hand. I don't see you folding a better hand here (and most worse hands won't call your raise), so I'd rather just get to showdown, since you are ahead of a good amount of his range.

If he called your raise on the turn, he has probably decided to go to showdown, so I wouldn't bet the River. With his stats, he probably has A8, A6 or 55 (w/GS), although you can't know that on the flop, but after he calls your turn raise, that's what it looks like. Edit: So the 55 won't call, and your a toss up on the other two.
Old 12-13-2005, 09:59 PM

they checked to me on the flop
Old 12-14-2005, 12:36 AM

I'd 3 bet the flop and then check the turn if BB folds, you might actually get to SD cheaper that way. Also I'm wodering wtf UTG actually limps there. I can't think of anything that would play that way except a pocket pair or A8s.
Old 12-14-2005, 01:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd 3 bet the flop and then check the turn if BB folds, you might actually get to SD cheaper that way. Also I'm wodering wtf UTG actually limps there. I can't think of anything that would play that way except a pocket pair or A8s.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, since it's 5-handed I think we might able to throw A6 in to there as well. I really think it's between A8, A6, and 55. FWIW, I don't see any reason to raise for a free SD here. There are no apparent draws on the board.
Edit: Spade draw out there, but I doubt either has the draw.
Double Edit: Oops missed that BB is in hand. Yeah I like the raise to knock out the possible gutshot. You have to fold to a river donk though.
Old 12-14-2005, 03:33 AM

I think id rather 3 bet the flop if it has any reasonable chance of getting the BB out. Im torn about the turn, on one hand it would be nice to get BB out, but on the other hand, getting 3 bet here sucks because with 6 likely outs, you have to call, and that 4 isnt exactly the best card for you if your read is he will raise less than top pair, now you are basically hoping he has x6 or T9 or something. Im more inclined to give UTG credit for a hand tho given the situation in which he checkraised, and the BB may very well fold the trn anyway...I think I just like calling.