Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-23-2005, 08:14 AM

Default set on draw heavy board

BB in this hand is pretty Laggy preflop with 50/20/2 type stats but seems to play decently post-flop, aggressive, but and doesn’t go nuts with nothing. Button is a good Tag as is MP+1

Hero in MP with 3d3h . 2 limpers, hero limps, MP+1 raises, button cold calls, both blinds call, everybody else calls (14SB’s)

Flop: 2s,3s,4c. SB checks, BB bets, limpers call, hero raises, M+ 1 folds, button CC’s, SB folds, BB 3 bets, limpers fold, hero calls (planning to raise a non dangerous turn) (25SB’s)

Turn: 8h. BB bets, hero raises, button cc’s, BB 3 bets, hero calls, button calls (22 BB’s)

River: 10c BB bets, hero calls, button folds

What I was hoping for here was that he was playing a flush/straight draw aggressively and rather than capping the flop, wait for the turn to raise and hopefully fold out button who might be holding an ace and drawing to the straight.
Maybe this plan is too expensive on this dangerous board. How about abandoning protection, and just calling down after the flop 3 bet?
Old 11-23-2005, 08:18 AM

Default Re: set on draw heavy board

[ QUOTE ]
How about abandoning protection, and just calling down after the flop 3 bet?

[/ QUOTE ]

Barf.

I'm capping this turn, too.
Old 11-23-2005, 08:28 AM

We can't count on him betting the turn with a flushdraw. I would probably just cap the flop. If you call you need to raise any turncard imo.
Old 11-23-2005, 08:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
We can't count on him betting the turn with a flushdraw. I would probably just cap the flop. If you call you need to raise any turncard imo.

[/ QUOTE ]

So if we cap and he bets the turn, you're calling?
Old 11-23-2005, 08:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
So if we cap and he bets the turn, you're calling?

[/ QUOTE ]
No, I'm putting in one last raise.
Old 11-23-2005, 08:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
How about abandoning protection, and just calling down after the flop 3 bet?

[/ QUOTE ]

Barf.

I'm capping this turn, too.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm afriad to take a too aggressive approach in this hand. Villain probably call Ax in BB so he could easily be on one of the 16 combos of A5. On the flop he can be pushing a PP of 55-88, but when the turn comes he's no longer holding an overpair in that case and wouldn't be 3-betting. Higher PPs he would probably have raised preflop.

Combos we lose to:
Ax: 16
44: 3

Combos we win against:
22: 3

But that's a range for a reasonable player, and our opponent isn't. I guess it's a matter of how hard this player can push a pair with a flushdraw and how likely he is to be calling an overpair preflop. Could he have flopped 2-pairs? Not very likely since he would have called a hand like 43/42/32 preflop, but this player might be capable of doing that.

That being said I think a cap is close, maybe correct. We also have 1 player trapped which we would like to charge.

I don't mind calling the 3-bet, but I don't think there's anything wrong with capping a calling a river bet.
Old 11-23-2005, 08:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]

That being said I think a cap is close, maybe correct. We also have 1 player trapped which we would like to charge.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's the reason I am capping here. If it was HU at that point, then I'm calling down unless I fill.
Old 11-23-2005, 09:25 AM

Do you see any merit in my original plan of call the 3 bet and raising the turn to try fold out button who could very likely be holding an ace? Once the flop is capped, he would be getting correct odds to draw to the gut shot when I raise the turn. I posted another similar hand a while back where I did this but it was recommended that there were too many 'ifs' to attempt it. In this case we can be close to 100% sure BB will bet out if we call his 3 bet.

Another thing is that it looks like there are lots of cards that can ruin our hand (9 spades, 4 aces, four 5's) so shouldn't we wait for our equity to improve dramatically when a non dangerous turn comes and raise then?