Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-24-2005, 12:56 AM

Default 88 on an A high flop

The PFR might be a little too frisky here. Do other people raise this or am I spewing?

Villian: 42%/4%/1.22 over more than five hundred hands.

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, BB calls, MP1 calls.

Flop: (6.50 SB) A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, MP1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB folds, MP1 calls.

Turn: (4.25 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
MP1 checks, Hero checks.

River: (4.25 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 6.25 BB

Nasty little board, but after I check through the turn, people will bluff-bet with nothing at all, so it's a mandatory call almost all of the time, I think.
Old 03-24-2005, 12:58 AM

Default Re: 88 on an A high flop

bet turn, unless he's really tricky.
river is a call.
Old 03-24-2005, 01:17 AM

The PFR is fine, you have a chance of isolating the limper with a good hand HU. I'd make this play maybe 50% of the time, more if the table is tight.

I'd also bet the turn. Call the river.
Old 03-24-2005, 01:27 AM

This isn't the proper time to use this line. With a hand like KK it might be correct to check behind on the turn and then call a bet on the river (I would play it this way at least 50% of the time). The problem with 88 is that there are too many ways to give him a free card. Loose players will call on this flop with a hand like KQ (just going for the gutshot). Little do they know that they actually have 10 outs against you. By betting, you can give him the chance to make an incorrect fold. Even if he doesn't fold his KQ, you are still correct to bet here because you are about 78% to win so your equity is .78*2 - 1 = ~.56 BB. This is not an insignificant amount to pass up even if he does make a good call here. And if you get check/raised in this spot you have an easy fold here.

Brad
Old 03-24-2005, 01:51 AM

I like that better now. My reasoning for the check-then-call line was that I wanted to go to showdown as cheaply as possible, having a semi-decent hand that's also extremely vulnerable. But betting the turn is smarter; that way I think you stand to win more when ahead and lose the same amount (or maybe one more bet) when behind.

Glad I posted this. Also glad the isolation-raise doesn't seem to be a bad idea.
Old 03-24-2005, 01:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
bet turn, unless he's really tricky.
river is a call.

[/ QUOTE ]

for the reasons Shillx elaborated on
Old 03-24-2005, 02:02 AM

That's a good pfr if somebody else hasn't answered you. I'd do the same down to probably 77. Sucks that the BB's in, though.