Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-10-2005, 10:36 AM

Default Curious for your thoughts (something from ToP)

So I was cleaning my desk, and as I picked up the book it fell open to page 118...Defense against the semi-bluff.

This example doesnt give any preflop action, just postflop.

You hold Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Flop: T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

You bet, your opponent raises.

Sklanksy says, given the combined chances that u could be beat already (by KT, AT, 2 pair, Set, etc), or that your opponent could also have a flush draw or str8 draw...that you should call, as your opponent is likely a favorite on the flop, and immediatly come out betting on the next card. Unless a heart, 6,9 or J falls. Probably folding if Villian raises again, as someone generally wont raise both the flop and turn on a semibluff.

Anyway, that got me thinking, that the line of calling the flop raise, betting out turn is always a weird one to me (and seems to beg for another raise from your opponent, whether they have a strong hand or not, because it looks pretty weak...but the bet, while looking kind of weak is also supposed to be putting them to the "test") and I usually forsake it for 3betting and going from there. Then I thought if I 3bet here, like usual, and get capped, I end up almost being forced to check the turn. I dunno, this may be pointless, Im just curious on ppls thoughts.

1.Do u ever follow Sklanksy's advice here (or is there a general situation in which u call a flop raise and donk turn).

2.What is your usual plan if u get raised here (include turn)?

3. And for kicks, lets say, instead of betting, u check-raise and get 3bet, what is your plan (include turn)?