Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-14-2005, 02:37 PM

Default Re: Sometimes you get AQ and wish you hadn\'t.

[ QUOTE ]
I started out not hating the flop 3-bet to try and get SB to fold, but now that I think about it, I don't mind an overcall from SB. I probably call the flop and pop the turn.

The turn fold is weaksauce. You could be looking at anything from a weak ace to a strong king to a Broadway pair that doesn't have a set, and that's a big pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. I think overvaluing reads is a disease on this forum, but that's probably why I'm not a pooh-bah.
Old 09-14-2005, 02:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The turn fold is weaksauce. You could be looking at anything from a weak ace to a strong king to a Broadway pair that doesn't have a set, and that's a big pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

What? Villain raised preflop and check/raised-capped an AKx flop. What are you putting him on that can't beat AQ?

[/ QUOTE ]

AJs/ATs both leap to mind. KQs is out there, too...he over-played it on the flop, but I don't think it's out of the question.
Old 09-14-2005, 02:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
But that is why I am 3-betting preflop...

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP. Folding AQo preflop is a pretty big mistake, I think, unless your read on the raiser is that he's a rock.

I like the call the flop raise, call down line, too.
Old 09-14-2005, 02:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Agreed. I think overvaluing reads is a disease on this forum, but that's probably why I'm not a pooh-bah.

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

I'm not saying anything about over-valuing reads. In fact, just the opposite...we can't put Villan on a hand that beats us firmly because we DON'T have a read.
Old 09-14-2005, 02:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
preflop: already been commented on.

don't like the flop 3-bet. the way the hand was played, i'm folding to the flop cap and not even seeing the turn. you guys really think after a preflop raise and a check/raise/cap, he's bluffing? this is not weaksauce.

[/ QUOTE ]

The way he played it, having called the flop cap, the turn fold is weaksauce. He either needed to call the flop raise and call down, or fold to the cap. I'd advocate the former.
Old 09-14-2005, 03:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

bwuahhaaaha [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] could you explain your thoughts here please so i can stop laughing at how funny this sounds?

To other posters: someone raises preflop, then not only check/raises this flop, but caps it and you are putting him on A-bad kicker and KQ? could someone straighten me out as i don't think this fold is weaksauce at all [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] this is textbook "ooh like i hit a big hand, so i'm gonna be sneaky sneaky".
Old 09-14-2005, 03:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Edit: And hero is virtually drawing dead to villain's likely holdings.

[/ QUOTE ]

What "likely" holdings? We don't have any kind of a hand-range on this guy, because we've only seen him for 5 hands. You can't automatically attribute what YOU'D play like this to an unknown player at .5/1, IMO.
Old 09-14-2005, 03:07 PM

It really really depends on what you're read of an "unknown" on Party at these limits. Yesterday, at 1/2, I had AK and had an unknown call 4 bets cold preflop and cap a king high flop with k9o. You can go "what hands is this guy possibly capping with" and fold TPGK here, which maybe we could if we had any reads/stats on the guy, but I think that is not a good idea in these games, as you are easily good 1/5 time here.
Old 09-14-2005, 03:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It really really depends on what you're read of an "unknown" on Party at these limits. Yesterday, at 1/2, I had AK and had an unknown call 4 bets cold preflop and cap a king high flop with k9o.

[/ QUOTE ]

well you are more fortunate than i. i haven't had the pleasure of running into these players. a preflop raiser who check/raises/caps this flop screams trips and i think it is more often than 20% of the time. i'm weaksause, but i hope to one day run into a player that you have described (though typically, he'll river his 9 and i'll get screwed [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img])
Old 09-14-2005, 03:26 PM

That happenend actually he dragged a $36 pot and then immediately left the table [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]