Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-10-2005, 05:13 PM

Default Aces on a ragged board - what\'s there to be afraid of?

I had no reads on anybody - this was my 7th hand - except the guy to my immediate left looked solid, and the big blind appeared to love going to showdowns with trash. He hadn't shown much aggression before this, though, which is why I only called on the end.

BB's betting pattern doesn't make sense for any hands at all. Even if he's slowplaying eights full or some weird four, then why does he only call the turn raise? I suspect he didn't know what he was doing any more than I did.

I like the way I played this.

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is UTG+2 with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. CO posts a blind of $1.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, BB calls, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, MP1 calls, BB calls, UTG+1 calls.

Flop: (17.50 SB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP1 calls, BB calls, UTG+1 calls.

Turn: (10.75 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP1 folds, BB calls, UTG+1 calls.

River: (16.75 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, UTG+1 folds, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 20.75 BB
Old 02-10-2005, 06:48 PM

Default Re: Aces on a ragged board - what\'s there to be afraid of?

Obviously he cares more of the joyous feeling he gets check raising you on the river than the extra bets he would win by raising more.

Nice hand.
Old 02-10-2005, 08:18 PM

Yeah, I would really consider 3-betting this river. The river card seems to have helped him, but the only hands it helps are 22 and A5. A5 and 22 are not betting this turn. I honestly have no idea what BB has, but my rule of thumb is that when someone plays their hand in an absolutely random fashion, I'm not going to go into calldown mode as often. I wouldn't be surprised at all for him to turn over a pocket pair higher than 8 quite often.
Old 02-10-2005, 11:07 PM

I was definitely considering the 3-bet, but I was very confused here... I think I might be a little weak on the river too often. Maybe a leak worth trying to fix. I'll wait until I've got a real database to worry about what PT tells me, though.

Silly little fish turned over Q4o. I just laughed.
Old 02-10-2005, 11:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I was definitely considering the 3-bet, but I was very confused here... I think I might be a little weak on the river too often. Maybe a leak worth trying to fix. I'll wait until I've got a real database to worry about what PT tells me, though.

Silly little fish turned over Q4o. I just laughed.

[/ QUOTE ]

too bad the chips slid his way
Old 02-11-2005, 01:14 AM

No matter. I figure he owes me $13 now plus interest. I'm sure I'll find him again eventually. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]