Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-18-2005, 02:20 AM

Default Frustrated newbie PT stats

Hey (first post) ...
I started out online at Poker Stars 0.05/0.10 tables maybe a month and a half ago, never having played poker before in my life, and performed decently. Quickly learned the benefit of tight play. Then I read SSH and moved up to 0.25/0.50, then 0.50/1.00 as the bankroll permitted.

Now I'm at 1.00/2.00 limit, mostly at Poker Room, and I'm getting killed. Some of it is that you really can't do much when you flop aces up and then the board four-flushes, but I'm positive I've got some terrible leaks.

I imagine there are a million of these "how are my stats" posts, so I apologize already for the redundancy.

Also, I do realize how tiny a 1700-hand sample is, but it's what I have to work with -- and I can't afford to keep losing money while I wait for a bigger DB [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Total hands: 1,707
VP$IP: 17.40%
VP%SB: 30.73%
W$WSF: 30.99%
BB/100: -3.15
WTSD: 31.77%
W$SD: 44.26%
PFR: 7.91%
Agg-F Total postflop: 2.21
Flop: 3.43
Turn: 2.71
River: 1.40
Folded to river bet: 37.50%

I'm really happy with the VP$IP and PFR numbers - I'm pretty sure I'm playing the right hands in the right situations. The games I find myself in are normally pretty tight-passive and a large percentage of hands never make it to showdown. 35-40% seeing the flop is juicy here, so I find a lot of the aggression that works in SSH games and at the Party 0.50/1.00 that I played before is now a great way to end up with the second-best hand at the showdown.

Given that the games are tight, I think the W$WSF should be higher than it is. W$SD is TERRIBLE. This leads me to believe that the WTSD percentage is also too high as well - maybe not too high long-term, but in the middle of a run of cold cards, perhaps I should be folding sooner.

Also, I do wish Agg-F would be higher - especially on the river. I'm not raising for value nearly enough on the end.

BB/100 will take care of itself given time, cards, and patching the holes.

So -- which pieces are missing from this puzzle?

Thanks in advance...

J.
Old 01-18-2005, 05:14 AM

Default Re: Frustrated newbie PT stats

Your sample is too small.

Regardless, you can't just make your stats mean a lot without a lot of hands.

Who knows, nothing looks hugely out of place.

Maybe you are just getting outdrawn.

Your idea of wanting to be even more aggressive worries me, as I know many great players that hover close around the 2, anything above 2.5 is pretty damn aggressive, and I doubt they are doing it correctly.
Old 01-18-2005, 05:39 AM

You can find softer low-limit games than pokerroom.
Old 01-18-2005, 12:35 PM

How many big bets are you down? Variance happens and 100BB downswings aren't unheard of.

If your bankroll is taking a beating, step back down to the lower limit games. Your sample size is too small, but as someone else pointed out the stats aren't bad.

Regards,

T
Old 01-18-2005, 12:36 PM

I have very poor stats at $1/$2 also.
But very good stats at $0.50/$1 and $2/$4

The reason?
Not enough data, like everyone else said.

For example AA and KK have been winning for me approx. 70% of the time. (I don't know if thats typical.) But anyway, of the 30% that lost, the majority just happened to be at $1/$2 tables. That fact alone is a big contributor to my skewed statistics.
Old 01-18-2005, 12:39 PM

I would move to party and play .50/1 for 10k hands to build your bankroll. After you finish that, analyze your play and bankroll. Then you can decide whether or not to move up to 1/2. And also don't forget to post hands in the micro limits.
Old 01-18-2005, 01:13 PM

I'm down about 60 BB right now, leaving me with 290 BB or so in the roll. That's hardly enough to make me worried about busting, but it's enough to make me question whether it's just a bad run or bad playing.

I'm at PR because I'm chasing a silly deposit bonus, which should take something like 4000 hands to clear at my current rate. Once I finish that I'm probably going back to Party skins. I know Pacific has pathetically easy games, but I can't stand to play there. [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

My plan is to drop down to $0.50/$1.00 if I fall to 200 BB and move back up once I've built it to 250. Given that, plus the implied +100 BB of the bonus when I do finish it, I think I've got plenty of safety cushion right now.

I think I just need to play another few thousand hands and see how things go. If I'm still having problems when I finish off that bonus chase -- I'll start getting worried then.

Maybe the lower-than-usual (for me) aggression factor is just a byproduct of playing in games where slowplaying is required to milk good hands for the maximum. Over my first few thousand hands from 0.05/0.10 up to 0.50/1.00, Agg-F was 2.8-3.1 most of the time.

Thanks for the replies, everyone..
Old 01-18-2005, 01:17 PM

???