Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-09-2005, 02:04 AM

Default Interesting Phil Ivey quote

"If you play a lot of poker, you realize that the better players play a lot of hands and they take chances,'' Ivey says. "The players that don't do as well are just sitting there folding every hand and not taking chances. I'm playing against the best players in the world day in and day out, so you can't just sit there and play only good hands all the time. You've got to take some chances and know when you're beat and know how to get certain advantages."

He said this in an article on espn.com where he discusses how he finds the ultra-high stakes $4k-$8k cash game at the Bellagio more fun and rewarding than tournaments.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/poker...amp;id=2252232

I realize he's referring to a game that's very different from the 1/2 game at Party, but still...it was a surprising quote to me. Thoughts?
Old 12-09-2005, 02:42 AM

Default Re: Interesting Phil Ivey quote

The pros at 4-8k are better (or at least richer) than any player you're going to find at any normal poker table. Nobodys a donk, so natrually to survive it would seem you're going to have to drastically change your style of play and keep your opponents guessing which is what I think he's talking about.
Old 12-09-2005, 11:56 AM

Anyone know how Phil Ivey does online? I would think a major part of being able to play that style in the big cash games is being able to read people...not as easy online.
Old 12-09-2005, 02:35 PM

I know I feel blind at times online. Live is much better for me.
Old 12-11-2005, 03:32 PM

Pretty sure he had a bet w/ Barry Greenstein on how much he could make and he made like 100k in less then a month or a couple of weeks or something like that. Wouldn't be surprised, anytime I have seen him online he has been killing it.
Old 12-13-2005, 09:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Pretty sure he had a bet w/ Barry Greenstein on how much he could make and he made like 100k in less then a month or a couple of weeks or something like that. Wouldn't be surprised, anytime I have seen him online he has been killing it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would love to read more about it. Any idea where I can find it?
Old 12-14-2005, 01:59 AM

I think it may have been in a response from barryg1 himself on here about something. Not 100% sure though.
Old 12-09-2005, 02:35 PM

I disagree. These players are not making money off of themselves (the pros). They are making money off of rich guys that don't play nearly as well as they do.

People that are infinitly rich have conquered all in life. They have so much control over everything around them it gets boring. So the challenges they take are higher risk.

Learning to fly, skydive, mountain climb... all dangerous activities on to themselves if you don't know what you are doing, some gamble. With gambling they have NO control over games like craps or blackjack. The money means nothing to them. Its beating the house. In poker its beating the players. They don't want a game with easy chumps they can beat. They want games with the BEST so they can say the BEAT the best. They are usually power driven personalities, for the most part. They want and need greater challenges than they can control. So the pros play these guys and thats where they make their money, not off of each other. The millionaires might be good, bad, or whatever but they don't care about their money. They got soooo much. Some of you might not believe me but lets take an example down to our level.

All of you average people own cars ranging from new to beat up. Now think about if for one day a year you can pick any car you want to drive for that day. That would be something cool and interesting.

Now imaging if you can pick any car to drive anyday anytime you want like magic. Well eventually it will not be exciting. You can translate that to women too [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Same thing for these super millionaires. Everyone bows to their wishes, their money buys whatever they want... where's the challenge. They find things that can be a challenge. Beating the world's best poker player is a challenge.

Look at us. I know that if I go to a table and all the stats on the players are in the red (I set my colors that way) then I go to another table. I like poker, but I like to win. Why do I want to struggle at 0.5 BB/100 saying "Oh I beat TAG so and so...". Screw that, I want suckers at my table so I cna make money. A couple TAGs fine, but I don't want to play them. Why should the pros be any different if they are making money for a living.

Now if they have more money than god then well I can see playing the best in the world if the money matter's not. Now its not a challenge its pretige.
Old 12-09-2005, 02:48 AM

To me it makes sense. Everytime you realize that the table is pretty equal in skill this mindset is necessary. If you're a chicken, you change table. Personally I love playing against tough opponents and find a way to first learn them and then probably beat them.
But I'm just a passing low limit newbie, what could I know?
Old 12-09-2005, 03:57 AM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand

[ QUOTE ]
"If you play a lot of poker, you realize that the better players play a lot of hands and they take chances,'' Ivey says. "The players that don't do as well are just sitting there folding every hand and not taking chances. I'm playing against the best players in the world day in and day out, so you can't just sit there and play only good hands all the time. You've got to take some chances and know when you're beat and know how to get certain advantages."

He said this in an article on espn.com where he discusses how he finds the ultra-high stakes $4k-$8k cash game at the Bellagio more fun and rewarding than tournaments.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/poker...amp;id=2252232

I realize he's referring to a game that's very different from the 1/2 game at Party, but still...it was a surprising quote to me. Thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not that suprising. I'm guessing the pool of players at that level is rather small so you're playing against many of the same players alot. Lower levels, especially online, there's a huge turnover so you don't have to worry as much about changing it up.

b