Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory

Old 12-07-2005, 06:02 PM

Default Tell me if I understand Pot Odds correctly

For example, with 4 outs on the turn, the odds are 10.5 to 1, (according to SSHE). At a .25/.50 table, the pot should be atleast $5.25 for calling to be profitable.

Am I correct? If not, please try to explain. I am a newbie.

Thanks
Old 12-07-2005, 06:06 PM

Default Re: Tell me if I understand Pot Odds correctly

Assuming 4 outs on the turn:

You've seen 6 cards so far (your two, and the four community cards), so with 4 outs, you know the other 42 cards are bad. So the odds of you making your hand are 42:4 or 10.5:1. Good.

So, assuming you are facing one bet to go, yes, you'd need the pot (including the bet you're facing) to contain 10.5 times the amount you're facing, or $5.25.

One major consideration though is if you're not last to act, you need to weigh in the chance that you think anyone left to act will raise.
Old 12-07-2005, 10:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
One major consideration though is if you're not last to act, you need to weigh in the chance that you think anyone left to act will raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

Now you're into the realm of Implied Odds, Reverse-Implied Odds and
Effective Odds! Once you understand the math part, you can begin to
understand the estimating part. Good Luck!

-ZEN
Old 12-08-2005, 01:30 AM

You can call with a bit less than 5.25 in the pot if you're almost certain your hand will win if you hit it AND you can reasonably expect one (or more) calls on the river.

To be precise (perhaps anal would be more accurate [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]), if the odds against you are 10.5-1 and there is 5.25 in the pot, calling is neither profitable nor unprofitable; it's break-even.
Old 12-30-2005, 10:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Assuming 4 outs on the turn:

You've seen 6 cards so far (your two, and the four community cards), so with 4 outs, you know the other 42 cards are bad. So the odds of you making your hand are 42:4 or 10.5:1. Good.

So, assuming you are facing one bet to go, yes, you'd need the pot (including the bet you're facing) to contain 10.5 times the amount you're facing, or $5.25.

[/ QUOTE ]

If they do raise, does that change my actions? If so, please explain. I am having a hard time getting my mind around some of this stuff. Thanks!
Old 12-31-2005, 11:35 AM

Help?
Old 12-31-2005, 11:47 AM

If there is 5.25 in the pot and you call 50 cents on a 4 outer, and someone behind you raises, now the original better can call or reraise. Even if he just calls, you now face another 50 cent bet but the pot will have 7.25 and you have to call. However, you now put $1 dollar in on the round and you did not get 10.5:1 on your dollar. So, the possibility of a raise behind makes a marginal call unprofitable.