Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments

Old 12-20-2005, 10:14 PM

Default Re: Playing multible tournaments at the same time

[ QUOTE ]
However, if you play 3 tables at the same time I don't think you can get as good reads as if you played only 1 table at a time.

[/ QUOTE ]

IMHO, the problem is probably 70% related to skill and 30% related to technology. If you have a slow connection, underpowered or too small hardware (specifically video) then all the skill in the world isn't going to allow you to keep up. Time is short when multi-tabling and the extra seconds that technology can provide are critical.

Even with broadband connection, my 3 year old laptop (which was a hot machine in its day) with 15-inch display just can't keep up. A couple of tables are fine, but with 3 or 4 tables with other applications going, the video is a performance bottleneck.

Once I get into my new digs, it's going to be a redundant internet connection, a large 21-inch flat panel monitor, and a new high powered PC with extra-powerful video card. The investment is trivial compared to the amount of money being put into action.

The other piece is concentration. Personally I can concentrate effectively with two tables, but there is some noticeable fall-off with 3 and significant fall-off with 4. Part of this is technology-related, but mostly it's brain-box related.

On the plus side, trying to multitable makes the brain work harder and faster. I can't wait to see how my concentration is in the 30 HPR B&M MTT versus a 300 HPR with 3 tables going online. I'm hoping to be able to think through single live hands a lot better. Who knows?