Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory

Old 11-17-2005, 02:38 PM

Default \"play your rush\" by Doyle Brunson

what's the story with doyle saying (in ss 1 & 2) that all top players (except one) believe in rushes.

yes, of course they happen...but it's a rear view mirror thing.

does he and other top pros really play their hands differently if they feel they are on a 'rush'
Old 11-17-2005, 03:05 PM

Default Re: \"play your rush\" by Doyle Brunson

I think most play their rush, but the key is not to OVER-play your rush. If you want to see a few more flops with marginal hands while you're dragging pots left and right, there's nothing wrong with that. However, as soon as you start taking non-justified gutshots to the river just "knowing it's gonna hit", the rush is gonna end.
Old 11-17-2005, 03:28 PM

i think part of the thinking is that other players believe in the 'rush', so you should take advantage of their perceptions. doesn't doyle say that after he wins a big pot he almost always comes out swinging on the next hand regardless of the cards? if opponents think you're on a 'rush' they tend to get out of the way.
Old 11-17-2005, 03:37 PM

my question is do top players really believe there is some force in the universe that makes good hands go to those that have been winning? i can't believe the top players would believe something as stupid as this.

the cards being dealt have no clue as to who has been winning.
Old 11-17-2005, 03:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i think part of the thinking is that other players believe in the 'rush', so you should take advantage of their perceptions. doesn't doyle say that after he wins a big pot he almost always comes out swinging on the next hand regardless of the cards? if opponents think you're on a 'rush' they tend to get out of the way.

[/ QUOTE ]

In an interview I saw a few weeks ago he said just exactly that.
Old 11-17-2005, 04:30 PM

I have had. a rush and i was not too get ting up
for the late, i am have to rush to get to the
cas sino!!! now i am get up earlyer.
Old 11-17-2005, 06:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
my question is do top players really believe there is some force in the universe that makes good hands go to those that have been winning? i can't believe the top players would believe something as stupid as this.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, but after you have played millions of hands you are aware that there are times when you can hit a run of cards where you just "can't seem to lose".

When those rare occasions come up, they simply take advantage of them. It's not like they believe in the "rush fairy" or anything...
Old 11-17-2005, 09:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

by the statement above you are saying that you and the top players DO believe in the rush fairy!

No, but after you have played millions of hands you are aware that there are times when you can hit a run of cards where you just "can't seem to lose".

When those rare occasions come up, they simply take advantage of them. It's not like they believe in the "rush fairy" or anything...

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-17-2005, 09:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

by the statement above you are saying that you and the top players DO believe in the rush fairy!

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

by the above statement you're saying that you and the top players DO believe in the rush fairy!
Old 11-17-2005, 09:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No, absolutely not. Based on what you are saying, every time I start to win a few hands, I believe this is going to be the “next great rush” and start donking off chips.

I win several hands in a short period all the time and it never crosses my mind.

But if you play enough hands, once every blue moon you just hit one of those runs. I don’t play stupid, I just bet a little more aggressive than I normally would.

But I’m not a top player, so my experience doesn’t really address your question.