Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: From which movie is this scene taken ?
PLAN 9 FROM OUTER SPACE : Scene deleted by Ed Wood because it was too tacky 9 33.33%
WHEN DINOSAURS RULED THE EARTH : The dinosaurs are in session. (In disguise.) 7 25.93%
THE TERMINATOR : A cyborg nightmare 2 7.41%
WAR OF THE WORLDS : The Martians' Supreme Council 9 33.33%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-19-2005, 10:23 AM

Default I should also mention.........

.....that I have a 1000BB bankroll and 5 months living expenses set aside.
Old 07-19-2005, 10:27 AM

Default Re: If you were me..............

Teach and play in your spare time. Keep trying to move up in limits. If you are successful in moving up you can still teach, make more than 76K from poker in your spare time and still have plenty of free time to do other things in life.
Old 07-19-2005, 10:32 AM

Is this a longterm plan to play poker and quit teaching? Or just a sabbatical to do something you enjoy? At some profit point would you simply decide not to go back to teaching?

Is there something that would prevent you from delaying this a year? By then you should be at 10/20 with the potential to double your profits. (Which would make it much harder for me to go back to teaching)
Old 07-19-2005, 10:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Is this a longterm plan to play poker and quit teaching? Or just a sabbatical to do something you enjoy? At some profit point would you simply decide not to go back to teaching?

Is there something that would prevent you from delaying this a year? By then you should be at 10/20 with the potential to double your profits. (Which would make it much harder for me to go back to teaching)

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm just taking the year. If I turn into Bicyclekick and win 250K, then maybe I'd have to reevaluate. I assume I will eventually nmove to 10/20, but I am trying to be extremely conservative when assessing my potential earn so as to not delude myself.
Old 07-19-2005, 10:35 AM

I'm in a similiar boat. I'm quitting/sabatical teaching after this year. I do make much less than you at teaching.

We both have the summers off. How many hours have you put in so far? Can you sustain 35 hr weeks. I tried but it's a really big drain. I've decided to make my goal 30 hour weeks. I think you should never make professional poker estimates with more than 30 hr weeks. Rerun the numbers that way.

Also nobody ever considers the effect of getting better. As a prolific HUSH poster I imagine your hourly will increase substantially between now and June 2006. By then it won't even be close (and that's if it is close now).

I have one more thing working against me. I'm a computer science teacher and there aren't very many of us around. So my programs may just fall apart when I leave. I'd feel sad if that happened a little.

Just some ramblings.

Krishan
Old 07-19-2005, 10:36 AM

I would like to change my vote from play, but it's close to play, and it's not close.

WTF, go for it, man. You are a proven commodity. I followed your posts when you were going through losing and stagnation hell and you made it through. I'll take that over some kid who runs wildly hot out of the gate anyday.

I don't have the slightest reservation about my decision and I did not have quite as much fall back on security that you do. Furthermore, I'll bet you will far exceed your projected winrate.
Old 07-19-2005, 10:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You realize none of us are familiar with the culture of educators. Although you are allowed to take the year off, would there be some detrimental effect on your teaching career? Or is it something that is common? Have you played at least 50 or 100K hands at this level?

You may want to consider waiting until you can beat the 10/20 at 1BB/100. I think it is the + benefits part that makes poker -EV until then.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have 30K hands at 2/4, 70K at 3/6, and 60K at 5/10 6max. I am over 1bb/100 total.

Health insurance will cost me $400/month, which is a lot but it is the same coverage I would have at school. I am guessing I would be missing out on about 5-7K in retirement benefits. I could survive on 2K/month, and live well on 3K/month.

[/ QUOTE ]

Teach and it's not even close. The 5-7K in retirement benefits alone tip the balance.

Consider the poker as a part time job if you wish but stick with the job.

Think of it this way. If you play poker for a living, what are you going to do for fun? Teach the occasional night class? I don't think so.
Old 07-19-2005, 10:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Think of it this way. If you play poker for a living, what are you going to do for fun? Teach the occasional night class? I don't think so.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is wierd. It's not like he doesn't have other entertaintment options other than poker. He'll do those in all the extra hours he has when he isn't playing poker for a living.

Krishan
Old 07-19-2005, 10:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[Think of it this way. If you play poker for a living, what are you going to do for fun?

[/ QUOTE ]

Get drunk and bird-dog beaver?
Old 07-19-2005, 10:46 AM

nh