Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Computer Technical Help

Old 12-27-2005, 11:19 PM

Default Re: Best way to get internet?????

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for all the input, I just found out doing wired isn't really gona be possible so I went out and boguht the netgear range max router to replace a 54mpbs linksys, and wireless is working great...(knock on wood)

[/ QUOTE ]

A netgear runs good, but the Linksys wrt54g router is almost rock solid. I know people that have had issues with the netgear. See how it works out for you.
Old 12-28-2005, 11:30 AM

I don't claim to be an expert on this so someone can correct me if I am wrong here, but....I have found that one of the key differences in the reliability of wireless connectivity is the whether the computer uses a plug-in wireless card or has Centrino internal wireless. I am an auditor and we frequently work with laptops out in the field. We also utilize an application called Citrix that requires a nearly uninterrupted internet stream (unlike browsing and much like an online poker client). Citrix normally "drops out" several times a day on those with plug-in wireless cards while the people with Centrino seem to have very few problems.

Does anyone have any experience to back up or dispute this?
Old 12-28-2005, 03:19 PM

It sounds like your setup is similar to mine with a computer and router downstairs, laptop with card upstairs. I didnt have any signal trouble with mine at all. My card and router are Dlink and came packaged together. The card is the DWL-G630(ver C2) but I cant remember the router model offhand. I wonder if you had some RF conflict going on that the stronger outut router was able to overcome.