Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-08-2005, 09:01 AM

Default Re: In real deep ( over 750 BB)

[ QUOTE ]
but i think he has a set here most of the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think a set has to protect his hand either on the flop or turn. I doubt a set is just calling down on a three flush board.
Old 12-08-2005, 09:17 AM

i dont mind check calling a push on the river, but it depends on the player. if hes the type that will check behind with JJ and stuff, you need to be value betting this river. if hes capable of shoving a missed flush draw on the river, then go ahead and check. holla
Old 12-08-2005, 09:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You are right I should have check raised the turn all-in or check called the river if he checked the turn behind me. I think he puts me on AA and wouldn't push KK or another pair. I thought he had some type of draw, but my read could have been off.

[/ QUOTE ]

If he knows you have AA and expects you to call, then why would he bluff?
Old 12-08-2005, 02:29 PM

You didn't have a huge hand. You had one pair, and no spade on an all spade flop. That's actually a pretty weak postflop hand.

Given your read of "this guy is crazy, so I'm going to show down this hand," I think betting 400 on the flop was very bad.

You are out of position, with a medium hand, against an unpredictable player--why are you building a huge pot? If he flopped the nut flush, he has you ruined, because he knows your hand needs to catch two perfect cards to beat him, and can therefore slowplay. Based on your comments, it seems that if he had had AsXs, he would have stacked you for 750bbs. He might have stacked you with any hand that beat AA.

The way I see it, your primary concern should be to keep the pot small. I bet the flop and hope he folds. I check the turn. If he makes a large bet on the turn, I probably fold, because I know Im not calling an allin on the river. This hand is too bad for me to go broke with.
Old 12-08-2005, 03:27 PM

I would check the flop.
Old 12-08-2005, 03:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a very key point.

You made this hand a lot harder than it needed to be by overbetting the flop. Do your standard continuation bet and take it from there.

I assume it's very possible he has been calling you down with something like 87 hoping to hit a second pair and bust you. The 7 isn't a very good card. Having got here in this fashion, give some serious thought to check-folding. Keep rereading what soah said.

Definitely try and keep the pot smaller and more manageable on the earlier streets, though.
Old 12-08-2005, 03:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

1) I showed tons of weakness by checking the river.
2) Board got scarier.
3) Desperation, has a draw and the only way to win is bluff.
4) Knows I don't like putting in lots of money with somewhat marginal hands.
5) Knows I have layed down big hands before.
Old 12-08-2005, 04:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Given your read of "this guy is crazy, so I'm going to show down this hand," I think betting 400 on the flop was very bad.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, playing a big pot OOP against a wild opponnent with a marginal hand is very stupid. How much would you have bet on the flop? I thought that I have a hand that needs to be protected so I will bet alot to protect it. This line of thought was not very smart.
Old 12-08-2005, 04:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]

You are out of position, with a medium hand, against an unpredictable player--why are you building a huge pot?

The way I see it, your primary concern should be to keep the pot small.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 12-09-2005, 11:04 AM

Default results

Not that everyone doesn't already know the results. The actual river was the 6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] I made a mistake in my post. I check called villian's allin river bet. He had 54 (no spades) for the straight. Yeti hit the nail on the head that he was trying to outdraw me. I shouldn't have bet so much on the flop and need to have position before playing these big pots with one pair hands. I did have the correct read that the villian was drawing at me, I just thought that he was drawing at the nut flush. Everyones responses were very informative.