Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Which accent?
Locust Valley Lockjaw (Thurston Howell of Gilligan's Island) 2 1.34%
Asian 0 0%
Latino 8 5.37%
German 4 2.68%
French 15 10.07%
Russian 16 10.74%
English 55 36.91%
Middle Eastern 1 0.67%
Italian 20 13.42%
Southern (U.S.) 18 12.08%
Canadian 10 6.71%
Voters: 149. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-14-2005, 05:42 PM

Default Re: (109) Bubble Fun with Raptor

I think its a fold for the following reasons:
a) calling leaves you on a sloppy position.
b) If the BB fold that would leave you in a good position.
c) If the BB calls ...ure in an OK position for a steal.

It seems to me that point C is being overlooked. Whether BB wins or loses, hero will have the button to do some cool profitable pushing.
Old 11-14-2005, 05:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
i think this has to be one of the most insanely marginal decisions, its kind of akin to making a post on whether or not to choose heads or tails, maybe the reasoning behind the decision is helpful for improvement in this case but the actual decision pretty much makes no difference.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed... but call because gambling is more fun than not.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, if thats the case, then I, Raptor, will call because I am better with more chips than my opponents are. That tips the scales for me at least.

[/ QUOTE ]

i think a point everyone seems to be missing is that the big blind, if even relatively decent, will call with ANY TWO because he knows he will lose a fold race and hes getting better than 2 to 1. any 2 cards folks. keep that in mind. some good points being made though keep it up. holla

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm with you that I fold this, but I think you're vastly overestimating how often the BB is good enough to call with any 2. The players in the 109's aren't great, especially regarding concepts like this.

[/ QUOTE ]

as far as that goes, in general, i think the 109ers call ENTIRELY too much in spots where they have no reason whatsoever to, and not nearly enough when they need to.. which is a possibility in this situation. however, i do think they call in that spot more than enough to make the AQ fold correct, even if they dont call with 93o. holla
Old 11-14-2005, 05:54 PM

BB should call with any 2. If you are certain he will call then folding makes sense. I've seen BBs in much worse shape fold.

What are the consequences if he folds? You will be paralyzed hoping he doesn't double up in the next hand or two and powerless to do anything about it. Next hand UTG probably won't push into the big stack. You sure as hell won't push. Then it is up to same SB to decide if he pushes into auto-calling big stack. If he then folds his SB you are pretty much doomed to third place at best as the big stacks will steal your BB without a fight.

So, you wind up in the SB 680t after posting. BB has 195t after posting. If the bigstack is enjoying this extended bubble and the other stack has to decide what to do with his random hand given that BB "should call any 2". He may very well leave it to you with your random hand.

Basically, I think there are alot of things that can go wrong and you still bubble if BB folds. I understand that if BB is calling 100% folding the AQ makes sense. You get a 60% chance to make the money and still have a chance if BB wins.

What percentage of time does BB need to fold before you call here?
Old 11-14-2005, 05:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
i think this has to be one of the most insanely marginal decisions, its kind of akin to making a post on whether or not to choose heads or tails, maybe the reasoning behind the decision is helpful for improvement in this case but the actual decision pretty much makes no difference.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed... but call because gambling is more fun than not.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, if thats the case, then I, Raptor, will call because I am better with more chips than my opponents are. That tips the scales for me at least.

[/ QUOTE ]

i think a point everyone seems to be missing is that the big blind, if even relatively decent, will call with ANY TWO because he knows he will lose a fold race and hes getting better than 2 to 1. any 2 cards folks. keep that in mind. some good points being made though keep it up. holla

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm with you that I fold this, but I think you're vastly overestimating how often the BB is good enough to call with any 2. The players in the 109's aren't great, especially regarding concepts like this.

[/ QUOTE ]

as far as that goes, in general, i think the 109ers call ENTIRELY too much in spots where they have no reason whatsoever to, and not nearly enough when they need to.. which is a possibility in this situation. however, i do think they call in that spot more than enough to make the AQ fold correct, even if they dont call with 93o. holla

[/ QUOTE ]

Again, I'm with you on the fold regardless of what we're talking about. I also agree that some people call too much, while others don't call nearly enough. But in this specific spot I notice people folding alot more than they should, because so many people would rather enter into a fold race with you even though they really shouldn't.

Maybe that's just been my experience, but I think surprisingly few people call with any 2, although I do think their range is rather large. Something like top 50-60% for the average player sounds about right to me. Again this isn't incredibly important to this thread, but relative to general play I think.

EDIT: Yeah I reread your post and we're basically on the same page. I thought you were getting at something else.
Old 11-14-2005, 06:09 PM

i think the BB folds about 25% of hands on average at the 109s.
Old 11-14-2005, 06:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i think the BB folds about 25% of hands on average at the 109s.

[/ QUOTE ]

mhm.

c
Old 11-14-2005, 08:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I instacall... this is exactly why pushbotting works so well, how can you fold this?

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-14-2005, 09:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I instacall... this is exactly why pushbotting works so well, how can you fold this?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

playing winning poker is one of them crazy concepts it seems.. easy math shows how this is a -ev call. holla
Old 11-15-2005, 11:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Geez... I fold here without a whole lot of thought.

Funny that my answers for both AQ hands are the opposite of the prevailing opinion.

Perhaps it's time for me to consider that instead of being a really good player running a bit cool... I'm actually a crap player on a sick 5-year heater.

Irieguy

[/ QUOTE ]

funny how both of my answers were opposing the norm as well [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] must mean we suck. holla

[/ QUOTE ]

I also went for fold, you'd be amazed to find. Heh.
Old 11-15-2005, 12:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Geez... I fold here without a whole lot of thought.

Funny that my answers for both AQ hands are the opposite of the prevailing opinion.

Perhaps it's time for me to consider that instead of being a really good player running a bit cool... I'm actually a crap player on a sick 5-year heater.

Irieguy

[/ QUOTE ]

funny how both of my answers were opposing the norm as well [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] must mean we suck. holla

[/ QUOTE ]

I also went for fold, you'd be amazed to find. Heh.

[/ QUOTE ]

what is your answer to Raptor's other AQ post where t480 shorty pushes and big stack pushes over the top?