Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium-Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em

Old 12-23-2005, 12:44 PM

Default Playing dead

Villain is a notorious LAG that bets and raises with any two. He also makes big calls, which sometimes works out in his favor.

I have about $500 and Villain has me covered. Blinds are $2 and $5, and I'm straddling on the Button for $10. I'm stuck about $800 and maybe steaming a little. 32 day winning streak down the drain.

Folds to Villain in the BB who raises to $25. I call with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].

Flop $55 - T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Villain bets $50, I call

<font color="blue">His bet here is probably a pair, but could possibly be straight draw, flush draw, or possibly even air. Honestly, I have no idea what he has. I call because I want him to keep betting at me. I'm not really interested in protecting...I just want to get my stack in the middle and that could be more difficult if he starts thinking I have a hand. I call with the intention of raising the turn or betting if he checks.</font>

Turn $155 - 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Villain bets $100, I call

<font color="blue">This is a pretty good sized bet by him, so I start thinking that he might have a decent hand. I still think that it's mostly air...maybe pair plus a spade. I decide to just call again since I think he'll follow up with a river bet.</font>

River $355 - 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Villain checks, I push

<font color="blue">Well, he didn't bet, but I have the nuts and my move looks something like a scare card bluff. If he has a decent spade, I expect a call. I would have moved in on any river.</font>
Old 12-23-2005, 01:09 PM

Default Re: Playing dead

Looks good to me. I doubt hes calling though without at least the Qs
Old 12-23-2005, 01:15 PM

I play hands like the LAG all the time. As villian, I would fold to the push unless I had 89s! or Ks. If I had the these hands, I checked to induce a bet and plan to reriase all-in. You

You called two bets, I know you have something you like which includes the As. I check the river and call a reasonable value bet with a straight or small flush. With Qs or Js I bet the river.

You had trouble putting Villain on a range of hands. That is not a good position to be in. I would have reraised the turn representing set afraid of the flush. That way you would know where you stand. As played it looked like you tried to get all your money back in one hand.

I hope it worked out for you.
Old 12-23-2005, 01:33 PM

that river push doesn't make much sense... you call on every street and then push a 4th spade on the river.. i'm not calling here without the nuts, and i don't expect anyone else to call w/o the Ks

why not just bet $200 on the river - you stand a much better chance of getting called by a set/2 pair
Old 12-23-2005, 02:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Villain is a notorious LAG that bets and raises with any two. He also makes big calls, which sometimes works out in his favor.

I have about $500 and Villain has me covered. Blinds are $2 and $5, and I'm straddling on the Button for $10. I'm stuck about $800 and maybe steaming a little. 32 day winning streak down the drain.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well played!

It looks like you are just defending you straddle PF, pickup a pair on the flop with a backdoor flush draw and by the river you hit your little flush and are trying to steal from a middle flush or non nut flush.

I do not think there is much of a chance that the villian puts you on A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. I think he looks you up here with any spade 8 or better.
Old 12-23-2005, 02:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
32 day winning streak down the drain.

[/ QUOTE ]

Results orientated thinking
Old 12-23-2005, 02:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
32 day winning streak down the drain.

[/ QUOTE ]

Results orientated thinking

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not results oriented. He's trying to convey to us how others might have thought his play had been.
Old 12-23-2005, 05:56 PM

Nice...I think live this play gets called a high percentage of the time and you're getting paid, online very easy to get away from an allin and the betting $200 line mentioned above is likely best.
Old 12-23-2005, 07:09 PM

he called with the 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]...he didn't show the other card, but i think it was an offsuit 8 or T.
Old 12-23-2005, 07:21 PM

hey wolfe, where do you play?