Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium-Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em

Old 12-20-2005, 05:43 PM

Default Live play metagame hand

This is my new favorite live game...it's $2/$5PL, but plays pretty big and deep...and fishy. In the hand in question, I have about $550 and Villain has me covered. Villain is a player, a student of the game, and probably the best out of the opponents at my table. Apparently he plays this game when his regular $10/$20NL game isn't running. I've seen him make some pretty amazing reads and generally only seen him put money in as a favorite. I've seen him raise and push strong draws, make good bluffs, big calls, big laydowns, etc...all the plays that make good players good.

On to the hand...There's a $15 straddle and it's limped around to me in the SB with J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. I pot it making it $75 to go. Villain calls from MP and the straddle calls.

Flop ~$250 - K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

I bet $200, Villain pushes, MP folds, I call $250 more

My gut told me that he was pushing with a strong draw like A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]2X or the like...probably even something that's a favorite over my jacks here (but I have odds to call). He could have me beat with a K, but I wasn't feeling that.

The main reason for my call: I plan on playing in this game a lot, and he's been there just about every time I have. I don't want him making these moves against me. I want to be confident that the next 3 times he moves in on me he has a big hand. He needs to learn to stay out of my pots and look to pick off the other players.
Old 12-20-2005, 05:49 PM

Default Re: Live play metagame hand

I like the meta-game reasons, I don't like the call in general though, nh.
Old 12-20-2005, 06:28 PM

I don't think that the "calling station" image is a profitable one to try to convey to other players.

You say that you don't want him to "make moves" at you, and admittedly, it will probably reel in his bluffs/semi-bluffs a bit, but he's also going to be aggressively value betting weak made hands vs. you a lot more.

Not to mention, if he is indeed a good player, he'll probably notice that you still fold when facing aggression a lot of the time. From that, he may assume that you were just going with a read (which you were), and not think much of it.
Old 12-21-2005, 12:48 AM

I understand you're reasoning for wanting to send a message, but you say you're in a situation where you're likely behind and he's a good, tricky, player. Find a better spot to send the message than this one, where it kinda sounds like you're playing into his hands.
Old 12-21-2005, 01:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I understand you're reasoning for wanting to send a message, but you say you're in a situation where you're likely behind and he's a good, tricky, player. Find a better spot to send the message than this one, where it kinda sounds like you're playing into his hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

my read is that he's pushing at me with a strong draw...a hand that really relies on fold equity to be profitable. i want him to severely underestimate his fold equity against me in the future in situations like this.

anyway, the turn was an offsuit 7 and the river blanked off. i waited for him to show 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] before showing my jacks to drag the pot.

here's something else funny...he won the pot for me. his push made the straddler fold. the straddler told me after the hand that he had a K and a low heart, and that he was going to push if Villain hadn't. i'd have folded if the straddler pushed.

even if the results had turned out against me, i think that he would have to adjust his estimate of what i'm willing to call him with and he's not going to be as apt to push weaker hands against me. that's going to make my life easier in this game.
Old 12-21-2005, 03:59 AM

Do solid players call $75 pf with A2o?

The Cbet is questionable. Fold to the push.

if you are going to spew chips for metagame image then do it with wild bluffing not calling station.
Old 12-21-2005, 04:18 AM

your continuation bet is awful

good job convincing yourself that you weren't drawing to 1-2 outs and then catching runner runner blank
Old 12-21-2005, 05:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
your continuation bet is awful

good job convincing yourself that you weren't drawing to 1-2 outs and then catching runner runner blank

[/ QUOTE ]
i knew there was a reason you were on my ignore list