Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Old 12-17-2005, 01:06 PM

Default $22 Level 50/100, holding 99, now what?

In my mind this is a push or fold play but there are so many people left to act behind me. Is this just a SNG Powertools problem or is there more to it?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t100 (8 handed) converter

Button (t1863)
SB (t820)
BB (t1170)
UTG (t687)
Hero (t1045)
MP1 (t1250)
MP2 (t280)
CO (t885)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
1 fold, HERO?
Old 12-17-2005, 01:10 PM

Default Re: $22 Level 50/100, holding 99, now what?

I usually push this.
Old 12-17-2005, 01:17 PM

Seems like a push to me, too.
Old 12-17-2005, 01:49 PM

Can you two tell me why you like a push here? I hate having 99 in UTG+1 with 10BB.

1. My stack is big enough I'm not quite in jeaopardy yet
2. A standard raise hurts if I have to fold
3. An all in with this many to act after me is just too scary.

I've thrown out everything I "thought" I knew about SNG's so please help me "relearn"

Straight Flushes,

SAM
Old 12-17-2005, 01:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]

In my mind this is a push or fold play but there are so many people left to act behind me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why can't you limp? I'm not saying I would, but a limp may make the hand easier to navigate. You could possibly get a push from someone behind you trying to steal the blimds+your limp with a marginal hand that you can pick off. Or if perhaps there is another limp you can get a peak of the flop before committing your stack.
Old 12-17-2005, 01:54 PM

Ok. First thing - it is absolutely unexploitable to push here (it doesn't matter one jot what they call with). So, if we know that is a +$EV play, folding is out. Therefore what else can we do here. Limp? Well, we have only 10BB and a raise is going to put us in a right pickle. Raise? Any re-raise we are going to have to call anyway, because we're pot committed. And we lose FE on both of these options..

So, in she goes.
Old 12-17-2005, 01:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
(it doesn't matter one jot what they call with)

[/ QUOTE ]

Elaborate pleas? Thanks.

SAM
Old 12-17-2005, 01:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

In my mind this is a push or fold play but there are so many people left to act behind me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why can't you limp? I'm not saying I would, but a limp may make the hand easier to navigate. You could possibly get a push from someone behind you trying to steal the blimps+your limp with a marginal hand that you can pick off. Or if perhaps there is another limp you can get a peak of the flop before committing your stack.

[/ QUOTE ]

99 really is not the kind of hand to be "trapping" with like this. If anyone raises or pushes then it's just not a nice situation to be in, we're either slightly ahead or way behind (except for the odd occasion they have 77 or 88 I suppose). Plus it may very easily produce a whole load of other limps, and then we're going to be facing a flop OOP with at least a third of our stack's worth of chips in the pot, with the possibility of people having hit sets, having draws, some part of the board (especially a problem with 99 because so much of the time an overcard will be on the flop), and as always, the chance to be bluffed off the best hand. It would be impossible, IMHO, to play well enough post-flop against even just the blinds here long-term to gain enough $EV from what we lose from pushing. Remember a push and the blinds will almost certainly fold stuff like KT, QJ, QT which when we're facing a flop of AT5 is going to be just terrible for our 9's should we limp.

Limping is really, really bad here.
Old 12-17-2005, 01:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
(it doesn't matter one jot what they call with)

[/ QUOTE ]

Elaborate pleas? Thanks.

SAM

[/ QUOTE ]

Feel free to give them again any ranges, from JJ+,AK+ to some ridiculously loose range (it might even be any two, but I didn't bother to go down that low, because no way will they call with crap like 87 sooted and even if they do - that's great for you), they can't have a range - any of them, all of them, whatever - to stop this being +$EV.
Old 12-17-2005, 01:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Can you two tell me why you like a push here? I hate having 99 in UTG+1 with 10BB.

1. My stack is big enough I'm not quite in jeaopardy yet
2. A standard raise hurts if I have to fold
3. An all in with this many to act after me is just too scary.

I've thrown out everything I "thought" I knew about SNG's so please help me "relearn"

Straight Flushes,

SAM

[/ QUOTE ]
You have 10BB, but your blind is coming up so you'll be down to 900 pretty soon. Not a disaster, but the blinds will be going up to 75/150 soon so you'll be getting somewhat desperate. I estimate that half the time you're called the villian will have overcards and half the time he'll have a higher pair. But the vast majority of the time, you'll just steal the blinds. Which works great for you.

A push is better than a standard raise because you're not inviting a call, yet you still have to call if anyone pushes over your raise.