Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Computer Technical Help

Old 12-16-2005, 10:32 PM

Default Help With Odd Computer Problem

Hi,

I just built my first PC. I used an Athlon 3700+ with a 256MB PCIE 6600GT. Everything seems to work great, until I loaded Half Life 2. It launches, goes to the first screen, goes to the loading screen, and then kicks me back to the desktop. I get no warnings or BSOD. I installed the latest drivers, and have tried multiple times, getting kicked out at the same spot each time.

Any suggestions?
Old 12-16-2005, 10:52 PM

Default Re: Help With Odd Computer Problem

Some things to try:

Do you have a firewall? I didn't get the retail, but the freebie that came with an old video card. IMO Steam is properly named. It's a steamy pos. And it's a little too picky on phoning home and getting updates.

Latest sound drivers? Try disabling sound?

Check the HL2 directory for a log file somewhere.

Other games work ok?
Old 12-17-2005, 04:29 AM

Ok a few things. Fist have you installed anything else this intense? Game wise? It could be either the video card is getting too hot because half life 2 is a pretty intense game, it could also be that your power supply isnt enough for your system. Did you dl the latest direct X files? while I agree with the previous post, im not sure that a firewall blocking steam would cause the whole program to kick out.

What os are you running? other games installed? other issues with the computer? have you tried to uninstall/reinstall? might be just a fluke mess up. is the game new or have you played it on other systems?
Old 12-17-2005, 06:25 PM

I would try turning off/configuring all firewalls you have running. I get similar problems sometimes when BF2 is starting up and my software firewall is running. This is assuming HL2 tries to communicate with the internet at some point during the boot up/login process. Even if it doesn't this is still something you can try.
Old 12-18-2005, 01:01 AM

It's crapped out on me before because of firewall issues. My firewall stores the checksums of the executables, and when it changes I have to manually re-authorize it or it flakes out.