Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded

Old 12-13-2005, 06:57 PM

Default Re: About chat...

great posts fellows, a must for the psychology forums. I recommend Microbob that you x-post this there.

As for me, I always say "nh" and "ty", "vnhs" if there are 2 goodies out there. When a table coach starts attacking a fish i defend them in a lighthearted manner. Once a guy told a fish that A6 was a piece of crap, so I insisted on pointing out every hand for the next 30 or so where A6 would have won. This shut the coach up. If i can't shut a coach up, i let them gun for me.

The "gotta play to win" quote is gold. Thanks!

Consider this digested. I thoroughly recommend a crosspost to psych too though.

Pete
Old 12-13-2005, 07:04 PM

"thinking about your opponents as faceless, error-ridden algorithms to be exploited by the most efficient possible mechanical process is the first step to becoming a robot yourself."

really interesting ideas here.
me likey.

I think you would have made Barry Greenstein proud with some of these thoughts.
Old 12-13-2005, 07:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"thinking about your opponents as faceless, error-ridden algorithms to be exploited by the most efficient possible mechanical process is the first step to becoming a robot yourself."

really interesting ideas here.
me likey.

I think you would have made Barry Greenstein proud with some of these thoughts.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was going to quote that same passage and say it's very truthful. I'll just quote Bob's quote of it instead.
Old 12-14-2005, 02:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The moralist sees poker as a strange little exercise in ethics: you master your desire to gamble by only playing reasonable hands in reasonable situations, you don't raise unless you have a strong hand, you don't stick around for outrageous longshots, everyone waits their turn for good starting cards and/or good flops and then wins their allotted amount and everyone's happy.

/mc

[/ QUOTE ]

I liked your whole post, but this was especially good.

I had one of my best sessions last night where I chatted for the first time in ages. I happened to sit by chance next to a player that I've been living off a bit lately and I wrote a greeting to him in the chat box. He responded in kind and we spent the next hour having a great time exchanging witty banter while I proceeded to clean him out. We got the entire table involved and another upshot was that almost nobody left. Everyone stuck around because they were having a good time. A suckout was greeted with choruses of "you rock!", "way to go!" and even, "you needed that one."
New arrivals at the table were instantly bombarded with 1000 questions; where are you from, who is the hot chick in your avatar, is that you, we're playing really crap so you're going to love this table, etc etc.

I was up quite a bit when I had to go. Everyone thanked me for playing with them and my new friend, (whom I had buddy listed previously), actually told me to look for him the next time I was online. Now that is cool.

and I had fun.
Old 12-14-2005, 02:30 AM

i wish so much that i could just cut my winrate in half and make that every single hand. oh the joy.