Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-07-2005, 06:43 PM

Default Thoughts on a session today (boring)

After some serisouly sinking my teeth into this forum, posting hands, polls, questions etc. in the past few days I had a 3 hour 6max session todya on Stars. It was break even, which isn't so great, but I feel like I was getting pretty cold decked and so break even may have been the best I could have hoped for. It woulda been worse if not for the second last hand I played, where I got some decent 3 way action with AA and it held up.

I think my biggest leak is continuation bets, if I get only one caller on any raise I make I will fire on the flop almost 99% of the time, and this can be quite a big loss since I am betting the pot or almost the pot and a reraise will take it off me easy, I don't give players at my limit credit for restealing a pot (should I?)

Here's one hand where I was a little confused, and my thinking was quite odd...

notes: My image is LAG and the BB is a bit of a donkey.

7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] on the SB, folded to me, raise to 3x
<font color="blue">Villain min-raises</font><font color="red"> Hero calls. </font>
Flop comes K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

The min raise suggests a big hand from a donkey, so preflop I justify my call by the fact that it is a minbet and he likely has AK. On the flop I think that maybe this is QQ-99 and that the ace will scare him, so maybe I should bet to represent AK (something I do too often when I PF raise and an A comes that I don't have)

Long story short, he reraises, I fold and feel like I just handed him some free cash.

Anyways, for some reason I'm quite happy wiht this session despite breaking even, maybe cause my exams are almost over.

Any advice/comments?
Old 12-07-2005, 06:53 PM

Default Re: Thoughts on a session today (boring)

When he reraised you warning lights should go off telling you he likes his hand. You were still getting the right implied odds to call him because if you hit your set he will pay off big. Since you didn't catch your card, I think the CB is ill concieved against the pre-flop raiser and a check/fold the better line.
Old 12-07-2005, 07:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
When he reraised you warning lights should go off telling you he likes his hand. You were still getting the right implied odds to call him because if you hit your set he will pay off big. Since you didn't catch your card, I think the CB is ill concieved against the pre-flop raiser and a check/fold the better line.

[/ QUOTE ]

And I knew it as I was doing it to, damn being OOP. It's strange I try to portray a LAG style and play TAG to get paid off when I get a hand, but sometimes I just can't help but make actual laggy moves.

Another thing... I show m bluffs alot when I first sit down, to convince the table I bluff alot and that I'm a fishy just for fun type player. It seems to work, and image seems to be a big factor if you turn it into one, anyone else do this?
Old 12-07-2005, 07:03 PM

Standard disclaimer: I'm new to NL, proceed with caution.

Preflop is standard, I'd probably check/fold the flop...IMHO it's just not worth getting into a confrontation, a poor player is going to have a hard time getting away from his hand even if he only has something like second/third pair...you'll probably have to fire two barrels and that might not even work (against a good player who's capable of making the laydown I might try it occcasionally). In gneeral, save it for when you do hit the flop and collect.

As far as continuation bets go...I think you need to consider the texture of the board with regard to both the size of your continuation bet and whether you should be betting. Sometimes throwing out a pot sized bet screams you missed with overs and are trying to pick it up where a 1/2 pot bet might actually project more strength (represent an overpair or something).

Sometimes it's best to take a free card when you have position instead of trying to win it on the flop (In general, I've started doing this with OESD's but I tend to bet with FD's and gutshots). Like I said alot will depend on your opponent(s)...if they're really timid I'll bet with anything, if they're calling stations or aggressive players who might come over the top I proceed more carefully.

Like I said though, I'm still learning...hopefully some others will chime in.

J

EDITED TO ADD: I'm also much more likely to take a free card with position in a multi-way pot when I miss....