Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Old 12-07-2005, 03:25 PM

Default Re: IT has happened to me

[ QUOTE ]

Take a look at the FAQ for a brief discussion of winrates. 30% is too high, sustaining >20% ROI at the 55s is very, very good. The upside of your earn at comparable SH games is going to be higher than SNGs.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks, I looked at the FAC and found the answers I wanted.

Krishan
Old 12-07-2005, 03:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
the only upside is that if i understand variance at all (and if you're a winning player, which i'm reasonable certain that you are), it pretty much HAS to end soon.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ack. No.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah I thought one of the [censored] things about all of this is that if it can happen once, it can happen twice...in a row [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]
Old 12-07-2005, 03:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Irie said a post is allowed if IT happens.

40 buy in downswing.

Lost money over last 750 games.

This qualifies as "it" in my books.

[/ QUOTE ]

Frustrating man...I'm sorry. Drop down and just try to have fun and win. You'll be back to your BI level in no time and this will be but a distant memory. Also have someone who plays party 22s, or whatever you play, go over your HHs.

[/ QUOTE ]

Here's an idea..start playing the 109s. You've got to start winning eventually, and this way you'll make a lot more money! [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

What about my advice warranted that sarcasm? He's a winning player overall and by dropping down and relaxing, he'll not only be able to breathe a little easier, but will be facing worse competition. Obviously, if is has leaks, go over the HHs and plug them.
Old 12-07-2005, 03:45 PM

Ok, I know that it doesn't HAVE to end soon. But come on, isn't that more encouraging than saying "hold on, another 40 could be on their way... starting now". I understand that results are independent of each other, but unless he is on the way far extreme right or left of the curve, he'll probably hit a winning streak soon.

Another way of thinking about this is that when I go on a heater, I usually think 'well great, i'm going on a downswing soon to make up for it.' I obviously don't have to be, but the numbers usually do even out in one way or another. I don't expect to stay on heaters for forever and I think it's reasonable to think that his downswing will end soon.
Old 12-07-2005, 04:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Play some PL Omaha/8 - not a joke.

[/ QUOTE ]

Playing different games actually worked a little. I decided to clear some bonuses to alleviate some of the pressure from my SNG downswing. Obviously to clear the bonuses I had to play Limit and NL cash games. Quite frankly the NL games were exhilarating. For some reason raising $30 seemed like a lot of money compared to playing a $20 or $30 SnG, in fact my heart raced during a few hands (which never happens in STTs anymore.) And the limit games were kind of fun. It allowed me to chase some draws I normally wouldn't. Oh and when I was done clearing the bonuses (for cool gifts) I played some $10 O8 SnGs which are a blast. Give it a try, if it doesn't work the single tables will be waiting.
Old 12-07-2005, 06:49 PM

Yeah, well, ignorance is bliss I guess. I don't think it's a good idea to deny reality when you know better though. Even though it's easier in the short term, denial is always more frustrating in the long run than just f-ing dealing with it.
Old 12-07-2005, 07:01 PM

Even the largest down-swings that winning SNG players report here are pretty low, relative to other forms of poker.... we, as SNG players, have it easy--- though that doesn't keep us from bitching and moaning.
Old 12-07-2005, 07:16 PM

I feel your pain man. Although my 25 buy-in downswing doesn't seem so bad after reading about your misfortune. Hopefully it'll turn around for all of us who aren't doing so well.