Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits

Old 12-06-2005, 02:46 AM

Default Re: KQ flops trips against laggy PF raiser

[ QUOTE ]
If the pfr'er donk bets us on the J95 flop you are raising it and folding to a 3 bet?

[/ QUOTE ]
no. doing so would be horrible poker. perhaps the reason you feel you are running bad is because you are folding hands in profitable situations? if i had 3-bet preflop and raised the flop, the pot would be plenty large enough to call for my gutshot to the nuts.
Old 12-06-2005, 02:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
3-bet preflop. start raising on the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]
Good advice. AF of 2.2 is aggressive for that VPIP, and so is the PFR. He's a LAG so give him the chance to raise and give you money.
Old 12-06-2005, 04:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I wanted BB and UTG to stay in there. I was pretty sure they're were just calling because villain had been raising constantly and their turn folds seem to confirm that. Even if they had gutshot draws, is that so terrible? I don't mind someone putting in a big bet for a gut shot draw in a pot that I'm very likely to win.

Fact of the matter is I built a MUCH bigger pot playing it the way I did, than if I'd jammed the flop and turn. It was a small gamble, but is it really such a bad thing?

[/ QUOTE ]

Giving gutshots proper odds to call the flop isn't a good idea. You want them to make mistakes not play properly. Also you'd be amazed how many 1/2 players will peel this flop with some ugly hands or call down a 9 even if you do raise. Also if you get in the habit of not slowplaying and therefore raising alot of flops you'd be amazed how much they love to call you down.

The other thing is: How do you KNOW that not raising the flop and turn netted you a much bigger pot? One of those guys could easily have Kx and will give you plenty of action while forcing those gutshotters to pay too much to make their calls profitable.
Old 12-06-2005, 10:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Giving gutshots proper odds to call the flop isn't a good idea. You want them to make mistakes not play properly.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually I think that by NOT raising on the flop, I got them to make mistakes they wouldn't have if I'd raised. Either way, they weren't getting proper odds for gutshot draws.

[ QUOTE ]
The other thing is: How do you KNOW that not raising the flop and turn netted you a much bigger pot? One of those guys could easily have Kx and will give you plenty of action while forcing those gutshotters to pay too much to make their calls profitable.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well raising the turn was clearly optimal in hindsight, since neither of the extras called there. But as I said, I don't think I'd have kept them around until the turn by raising the flop. That's two extra bets I got on that round instead of one or possibly even none from the LAG (not to mention his turn bet which I enticed by not raising). I really felt that nobody else had Kx, but if they did, they'd probably raise it sooner than I did anyway. They'd be in a much better position to do so, not acting directly after the PF raiser. Really, the only negative thing I can think of regarding the way I played this hand is that the LAG caught a miracle card on the river (6s full of kings). But I think the chances of that are slim enough to make it a risk worth taking.

Correct me if you disagree.
Old 12-06-2005, 11:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
the 3-bet is to get this heads up or 3-way and to win the pot when we both miss. say he has an ace and the flop is J95. if he holds A6/A7/A8/AT he will have a hard time continuing.

3-betting is surely better than coldcalling, which in my opinion is the -EV option. folding is 0 EV, and reraising is probably just a little bit on the positive side.

[/ QUOTE ]

I really doubt coldcalling is -EV here, and I actually prefer it to 3-betting. I kind of think that against someone this aggressive we are likely the ones that are going to be put to the test if we both miss.
Old 12-06-2005, 11:19 AM

Raise flop (it will only give you 2 sb if the other two call and a scare card can come so easy...). Cap it if possible.

Raise turn (If you raise preflop and he 3-bet you, he wont go anywhere, and make him pay any drawing hand he have)

Cap river. How come you only called???
Old 12-06-2005, 11:28 AM

*grunch*

Against a villian with this high a PFR% I'd 3-bet preflop. Flop is an easy raise. Your hand is strong, but certainly does not fit all the requirements for a slowplay--most specially, Kx still has a redraw to the full house. Raise again on the turn if bet into again.
Old 12-06-2005, 11:38 AM

raise or fold preflop, calling seems pretty bad here.

i probably fold, but i think reraising is higher +ev
Old 12-06-2005, 12:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Cap river. How come you only called???

[/ QUOTE ]

Cause I was beat? Why would he 3-bet if he couldn't beat a king?

[ QUOTE ]
*grunch*

Against a villian with this high a PFR% I'd 3-bet preflop. Flop is an easy raise. Your hand is strong, but certainly does not fit all the requirements for a slowplay--most specially, Kx still has a redraw to the full house. Raise again on the turn if bet into again.

[/ QUOTE ]

Kx has a redraw to a full house, sure, but is kx folding to a bet and a raise? Hell no.
Old 12-06-2005, 12:38 PM

*grunch*

I'd raise the flop and call down if reraised.