Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Old 12-02-2005, 02:56 PM

Default Re: One year ago today, I...

One year ago today, I...

1. Had already been a 2+2 member for over 2 years, and had amassed about 3 posts, due to being lazy.

2. Was in the middle of a 2 month Vegas trip
that started with me playing $50 comps at the Orleans and ended with me having entered somewhere in the region of $60,000 worth of tournaments. And breaking even overall after expenses, thanks to deciding to buyin to the $15k 5 Diamond main event, getting the rub down from Hellmuth when he busted me on the river.

3. Didn't have a job.

4. Had a lot of cash online but didn't consider it a bankroll.

Now I...

1. Have been a 2+2 member for over three years and have rocketed to over 100 posts.

2. Am not in Vegas.

3. Still don't have a job, but did have one for two weeks a while ago.

4. Don't have much money online, but it is now my living and playing bankroll. I'm playing $22's with itat the moment.

So yeah, basically, the moral is don't play huge tournaments way above your bankroll if you're going to be gutted when you find you don't have any money left. See you at the World Series then. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 12-02-2005, 04:20 PM

A year ago...
-I had deposited about 100 dollars in a PP account and was fooling around at the 5+1 SNGs
-lurked on 2+2 but didn't read any threads that had "long" responses in them
-Never truly thought I could make a lot of money at this, although I did think it'd be a cool thing to do
-hated school

today I...
-Since May have turned a $1000 (so far) investment (roughly 500 in online accounts, 300 in books, and 200 in software stuff) into nearly 10K.
-Spent and entire summer working 30 hrs/wk at a $7.25/hr job to pay rent and spent the remainder of my time focusing on improving my play in tournaments, mostly SNGs but also played in some low-buyin mtt.
-Have become very fustrated with the seemingly lack of progress on a couple of occasions but only to realize that when you keep working/thinking/improving your game it will eventually come around.
-Read a ton of 2+2 and tried to soak in as much as possible while posting responses on the rare occasions I thought I could offer something to a thread
-Learned what bankroll management is about
-Won a MTT for $1350 for my first ever big cash that allowed me to comfortably start four tabling the 22s
-Just started playing the 55s two weeks ago.
-Have paid for one semester's tuition, bought too much booze, and 2001fp with poker money.
-still hate school but am happy that I don't have to actually "work" anymore to pay for school.
-Have realized how many of the lessons poker has to offer are also applicable in the game of life and that I'm a better person for it.

oh yeah, I've also met two 2p2ers (non SNGers) in real life and have had AIM conversations with many others. You guys are a cool bunch! Except that skipper guy, he scares me. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 12-02-2005, 05:27 PM

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 12-02-2005, 06:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

- Got bored, started playing $27, then $60, turbos. Got hot, worked roll up to $2,000.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

- Learn to manage my bankroll.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd say that's a good goal. At what point did you start playing 60s?

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, I don't know. I took a few shots around $1,000 and started playing them almost exclusively around $1,300-$1,500. In a very short sample size (I don't know exactly how many I've played. I haven't put the work in to make Stars SnGs work with PT), I would say the $60s are somewhat close to the $27s in difficulty.

Funny you ask, until the past five months, I've played SnGs as a break from the limit grind. Since playing them seriously, I realize I have no clue about the required bankroll ... I suppose I should take a look at the FAQ thread.
Old 12-02-2005, 07:09 PM

One year ago I

• Was really thrilled to receive my first stress-star from PokerStars. It had taken me about 3 months of playing to get one.
• Thought I was doing everything right when I won.
• Thought I was doing everything wrong when I lost.
• Had about $200 in my account and figured that was more than enough to play $11's.
• Figured I was pretty cool for playing 2-3 tables.

Today I:

• Own PokerStars merchendise worth about 60 stress-stars (even though I dont play there and havent for about 3 months), and think I'm being a pretty cool customer for doing so.
• Have made around $8k in total profits.
• Have gotten a pretty good grasp of SNG play.
• Figure I'm not half as cool as half of you playing a mere 9 tables in sets.
• Is finally enjoying seeing my bankroll grow and knowing why it does.
Old 12-02-2005, 07:28 PM

one year ago I decided to play full ring limit games and work my way up from the micro limits to get the experience I felt was key. I started with $50 and played .05/.10. I worked my way to having a sufficient roll for 1/2 playing part time. I played a few sitngo's and mtt's along the way. 3 weeks ago I decided that limit ring is absolutey boring and don't really want to play it anymore as I enjoyed the sitngo's much more. In the last 3 weeks I have played nothing but $5 sitngo's. For the next year I plan to focus specifically on sitngo's and mtt's. I just find them much more enjoyable to play. I'm gonna start at the $5's to get experience and pad the roll and work my way up just as I did with limit. O and this is my first post in the single table tourny section. I should be making many more but I still have a million threads to sift through before I start making any posts.
Old 12-13-2005, 06:34 PM

One year ago today, I...

1. Started "seriously" studying SnG strategy by reading this forum and books.

2. Played $11 and $22 SnGs with about a $500 bankroll on Party and Stars, with occasional low buy-in MTTs for fun.

3. Had just been dumped by my girlfriend for the drummer in my band at the time. [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

Since then, I have...

1. Have lost about $1000 playing SnGs, and continue to lose. Luckily I can fund my bankroll with gig money.

2. Have come to the realization that I'm far too dumb to be a winning player.

3. Will continue to play because I enjoy it, and it's a less -EV hobby than getting drunk in bars every night in a futile attempt to pick-up women, since I'm even uglier than I am dumb.

4. My band has a new (and married) drummer. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 12-13-2005, 06:41 PM

One year ago today, I...

Was saying "Wow poker is neato. I think I'd like to play that game!"

Since then, I have...

Started saying "SHIP IT BATCHES HOLLA HOLLA HOLLA"

Oh, yeah, started playing online in March. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-13-2005, 06:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
One year ago today, I...

1. Started "seriously" studying SnG strategy by reading this forum and books.

2. Played $11 and $22 SnGs with about a $500 bankroll on Party and Stars, with occasional low buy-in MTTs for fun.

3. Had just been dumped by my girlfriend for the drummer in my band at the time. [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

Since then, I have...

1. Have lost about $1000 playing SnGs, and continue to lose. Luckily I can fund my bankroll with gig money.

2. Have come to the realization that I'm far too dumb to be a winning player.

3. Will continue to play because I enjoy it, and it's a less -EV hobby than getting drunk in bars every night in a futile attempt to pick-up women, since I'm even uglier than I am dumb.

4. My band has a new (and married) drummer. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

So much for drummer's being the "steady backbone" of the band. I always knew the bass players actually were...

That sucks...
Old 12-13-2005, 07:17 PM

Default Re: I NO LONGER COACH

[ QUOTE ]
I'm actually a little afraid that when I post my meta-analysis of SNG results next month, a few 2+2ers will be so angry that they will try to murder me.

Irieguy

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't wait...for the analysis, not the part about you getting murdered.