Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-28-2005, 06:12 PM

Default Re: Restealing.

I don't like to do it. It encourages bad play, and hard decisions. If you're going to do it, you better know he's trying to steal. So, only in live games. On-line, it's very risky.
Old 11-28-2005, 06:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
This is an aspect of the game where i would like to get better. I know a lotta ppl think that defending blinds in NL is not a big deal, but i think it is.
For me reraising against a button or CO raise normally requires me to have....2 cards, unless the LP raisers havent done it very often.
I would like to know what kinda hands ppl resteal or defend their blinds with against habitual stealers, i think i do it more aggressively than is optimal.

[/ QUOTE ]

When you resteal like this with any 2 cards, how does the hand play out when villain calls on the button and you miss the flop?

[/ QUOTE ]

You lead out and hope to take it down. Its just as likley to have missed him.
Old 11-28-2005, 07:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Seems like you are just bloating the pot for them to win it postflop since they are playing with position and most likely the best hand, too.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not true at all. You need to consider how often they fold; they're not going to call a big reraise even with position just hoping to call a big flop bet to take it away. Very risky, and alot of players dont have the balls for that.

Think of the math too; if someone raises pot, (35) sb folds, there is 50 out there. if you make it, say, 150, (bigger then pot) if he folds 75% you break even on this alone. Vs a perpetual blind stealer, attempt to steal blinds pretty high, they will fold often.

Also, keep in mind sometimes you show down best hand or win it on the flop, but we're focusing on pf.

[/ QUOTE ]
I completely agree with this. Except for the part where you quoted me and then said "Not true at all." But this analysis is just saying "If guys fold too much, then you can make money by betting." This is all obvious. I meant to imply all this when I said "If they fold too much, fine run them over." But my comment was geared towards playing against good players who won't fold too much and who will call re-raises loosely since they will have position and know that you are re-raising lightly.
Old 11-28-2005, 10:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I meant to imply all this when I said "If they fold too much, fine run them over." But my comment was geared towards playing against good players who won't fold too much and who will call re-raises loosely since they will have position and know that you are re-raising lightly.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you do this with the right stack sizes OOP, then if they call preflop, the continuation bet will in effect be for their whole stack although it may only be a smallish portion of yours. It really puts opponents in a tough, tough spot if they don't have AA or KK.

For example, in a 5-10 game if you have 1500, lets say good MP player opens for $35, button calls, sb folds, you decide to squeeze w/ random junk. If you overbet the pot OOP usually, lets say you raise it up to $150. Usually this will work, but if good player calls and others fold, you can bet $300 or so and it's really for opponent's stack, so the bet has a lot of leverage making the bluff work unless against a monster - and you should have a decently tight reraising image for this play as well.
Old 11-28-2005, 10:48 PM

Nice. I think stack sizes play a very important role here. What you outline is a really nice play.
Old 11-28-2005, 11:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Nice. I think stack sizes play a very important role here. What you outline is a really nice play.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's why this works fine online too. When you reraise and bet flop, that's threatening a 100bb stack. That's probably 40% of his stack right there.

But you need to do it against people who raise light, because something like QQ or AK can be a through ticket for 100bbs.