Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments

Old 11-28-2005, 02:47 PM

Default Re: Results and comments

[ QUOTE ]
So, I said "I think you have the Ace of hearts and the Queen of diamonds. I call."

He showed exactly those two cards, I pulled in a nice pot, and the table was so spooked about calling his cards that they just may have forgotten that I raised preflop with 2-5.

[/ QUOTE ]
Is this a joke? I know you are a far better player than me and all, but I get a feeling that every one of your post on her (not on the STT forum) is some sort of wacky hand were you made a read Jesus (the one from Nazareth) would have been proud of. Feels a bit like you are taking the piss sometimes.

And anyway if you knew he had A high, and didnt want to show your 25 why not push? He wont call and you take down the pot.

That being said, loved your reasoning about the size of the preflop raise. It's stuff like that which makes me realise how much I have to learn.
Old 11-28-2005, 02:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Great post Irie, as usual. Question though: why didn't you say that, and then push? If you did get his hand spot-on, he will probably fold face up, giving you dazzle value and you don't have to show your 5h2h. Thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, as fancy an confident as it may have looked... or as it may sound as I describe it; I was still barely comfortable with the call and knew there was a good chance I would lose. I didn't want any more money in the pot.

Irieguy
Old 11-28-2005, 03:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
.. but I get a feeling that every one of your post on her (not on the STT forum) is some sort of wacky hand were you made a read Jesus (the one from Nazareth) would have been proud of. Feels a bit like you are taking the piss sometimes.

[/ QUOTE ]

I said I was barely comfortable with the hand and that I got lucky to be right. Nothing Jesus-like about that.

I thought the hand was interesting and have posted interesting hands where I have been wrong as well. Maybe from now on I'll just post the hands where I lose.

Irieguy
Old 11-28-2005, 03:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
.. but I get a feeling that every one of your post on her (not on the STT forum) is some sort of wacky hand were you made a read Jesus (the one from Nazareth) would have been proud of. Feels a bit like you are taking the piss sometimes.

[/ QUOTE ]

I said I was barely comfortable with the hand and that I got lucky to be right. Nothing Jesus-like about that.

I thought the hand was interesting and have posted interesting hands where I have been wrong as well. Maybe from now on I'll just post the hands where I lose.

Irieguy

[/ QUOTE ]

nah, keep posting these. I liked the suit deduction part.
Old 11-28-2005, 03:22 PM

Default Re: Hand from the Orleans

[ QUOTE ]
I am, I do, the good player folds, and the SB reluctantly calls with around 10,000 behind. The BB folds. 4000 in the pot. The SB is ABC-tight and very untricky. He's not a complete moron, so it's not like he only bets with a hand... but he is easy to read. He probably has an ace lower than AK or a small pair. KQ suited is the worst hand he is likely to hold.

I have 2h-5h and the flop comes 2d-8h-Jh.

He checks and I bet half the pot (2000).

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this flop bet easy/standard? Would pushing the flop be spewing chips?
Old 11-28-2005, 03:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The problem I had was that I was going to have to show down 2-5.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is why I would have just folded preflop and saved myself the headache. Losing folding equity here is a nightmare.
Old 11-28-2005, 03:25 PM

WayCool [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]I hope you won it All [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 11-28-2005, 03:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Orleans Sat. night tourney. $100+ buy-in, and one $100 add-on. Buy in gets you 1200 chips, add on gets you 2000 chips.

First place paid just shy of $6K, 10 places paid. 120 entrants. 290,000 chips in play.

Down to two tables, I have 13,000 chips which is average. Blinds are 300/600 with 100 ante. The table is very tight. The only good player remaining is to my immediate left. He has 2100 chips. He will wait until it is correct to go all-in, but is good enough to know that he should open all-in with any two, but re-raise all-in only with hands that race reasonably well.

I'm in the cut-off, and the blinds have shown that they will fold if their cards don't look pretty no matter what the situation is.

With 1900 already in the pot, I will happily put in 1200 with a reasonable chance to win the blinds/antes and a willingness to race the "good player" as a dog for another 900 if he pushes. So, I have decided to open-raise for 1200 regardless of my cards if given the opportunity.

I am, I do, the good player folds, and the SB reluctantly calls with around 10,000 behind. The BB folds. 4000 in the pot. The SB is ABC-tight and very untricky. He's not a complete moron, so it's not like he only bets with a hand... but he is easy to read. He probably has an ace lower than AK or a small pair. KQ suited is the worst hand he is likely to hold.

I have 2h-5h and the flop comes 2d-8h-Jh.

He checks and I bet half the pot (2000). He checks his cards and calls. I am not convinced that he has anything better than ace-high. I hope he doesn't have KQh.

The turn is a black 7. He checks and I check behind.

The river is another black 7. He quickly bets 3000, which is about half his stack.

What's your move on the river? Any criticisms of my play up until the river?

Irieguy

PS- I will not be able to check back until tomorrow morning. Results later.

[/ QUOTE ]

hm.. in a 50+5, if i was the SB w/one person all in, then your flop bet meant you caught a piece of the flop. my check/call meant that i also caught a piece of the flop, but not top pair.

i interpret your check on the turn to mean that you don't have the jack.

also normally on the river in a 50+5, when neither person has tp or better w/a 3rd person all in, it gets checked down.

My weak river bet is a value bet and signified that I was slowplaying and have better than tp. and i was willing to risk you drawing by playing it weakly in hopes of check/raising you on the turn.
Old 11-28-2005, 03:44 PM

SB had Ah Qd?

i thought you said he was a tight ABC player?

2 overcards and 2 backdoor draws (straight + flush) = ~8outs, which is 5:1. your 1/2pot bet is only giving him 3:1

I would not say a person who calls a 1/2 pot bet w/just 2 overcards and a backdoor draw as being tight ABC player, especially when someone is already all in.
Old 11-28-2005, 04:22 PM

i would check behind flop, and raise nearly any turn or bet it if checked to.