Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments

Old 11-27-2005, 02:31 PM

Default Task and Purpose in Poker: My Pooh Bah Dissertation (long)

My Pooh Bah Dissertation: Task and Purpose in Poker (posted in MTT since this is mostly where I reside).

I am proud to follow the grand 2+2 tradition of notable trout writing an essay for their 1600th post initiating them as a “Pooh Bah.” My idea is a simple one really, but it applies across the whole poker spectrum from “how do I play this hand” to “which games or tournaments do I play in?” Most 2+2ers do this instinctively without realizing what they’re doing. I believe it is an important element in their success. Simply stated, I believe the following: “Every decision you make in Poker must have a clear Task and Purpose.”

My emphasis on Task and Purpose originates from my service as an Army Officer. Good leaders always instruct their troops on what they’re doing and why. I saw this concept first hand in Iraq. Successful units always operated with a clear task and purpose. Those that didn’t would often times suffer disastrous and tragic results. If I didn’t receive a clear Task and Purpose from my superiors, I would make it a point to ask for one. If it still wasn’t clear, I would give my best estimate of the T&P and convey it to my platoon. Here’s a practical example:

Task: 1st Platoon conducts convoy security operations along Route “Bellagio.”

Purpose: Ensure the safe transportation of the logistical package from Forward Operating Base “A” to Forward Operating Base “B.”

brief my platoon and they now all clearly understand the T&P. If my truck hits an IED and I go down, they now know what they need to do and why without my leadership.

This concept is effective in the military and it is effective in poker. A clear T&P offers your game the “Direction” it needs. Contrast these two examples:

A recreational player deposits two hundred dollars in an online account. So many games to choose from. He thinks he’ll try some 3/6 LHE. Though he wins some nice pots, overall he finishes slightly down. After that, he tries a couple SNGs and MTTs with little success. He loses his last $50 playing 1-2 LHE and complains how unlucky he is.

Versus:

An aspiring Brown Trout just finishes Small Stakes Hold Em and Harrington On Hold Em. After putting together a modest $200 stake, he decides to make his first online poker deposit. He knows it isn’t much, but many top online players started small themselves. First, he develops a clear task and purpose.

Task: Play .5/$1 LHE and clear every bonus possible.

Purpose: Build my bankroll and move up in stakes.

Granted, us at 2+2 love the first type, as the fish who wander aimlessly around various online card tables enable many to feed their families. He is that way because he has no plan of attack and is doomed to fail. I confess that a year and half ago I was probably this type of player. The second player may also bust out, but at a minimum he has a plan based on a sound Task and Purpose. This T&P will be the foundation of any future success he may enjoy.

Earlier this year, I had the goal of qualifying for the WSOP ME. I stabbed ineffectively at the Party satellites/Steps and continued to come up short. With some guidance from our own MicroBob, I developed a clear Task and Purpose that paved my way to Vegas:

Task: Build W$ Bankroll on PokerStars.

Purpose: Maximize opportunities to qualify for the Main Event.

With that, I took $500 and started at the very bottom playing $2 Turbo rebuys. I eventually got the W$ bankroll to the point where I could take some shots at the Double Shootouts, and achieved my dream on my 3rd try.

Task and Purpose should not only govern the “Macro” part of poker (which games/tournaments you play) but it should also dictate how you should play each hand. Unsophisticated players know the primary tasks of poker (call, fold, or raise) but seldom have the clear purpose. A simple example:

1st Orbit of a 50+5 SNG, blinds 10/15. UTG min-raises to 30. 3 more players call. You have 5-5 on the button.

Bad Player: Hey, it’s a pair. I’ll call.

A Good Player will have a clear Task and Purpose in mind:

Task: Call the min-raise.

Purpose: Try to spike a set and win a big pot.

In this case, T&P gives us a sound plan for the flop. We already know we’ll ram and jam a set and quickly fold to an A-K-8 flop.

Here is another example:
$300+40 at WSOP Circuit Event Caesars, Indiana. You’ve caught the greatest run of cards in your life, getting AA, KK twice, AK and QQ in the last 5 hands, all of which you’ve taken down uncontested. Though you have great cards, the rest of the table perceives you as a LAG. You pick up A-Jo in MP2.

Task: Fold A-Jo in MP2

Purpose: To tighten up and maximize the chance that a subsequent big hand gets paid off.

If you hadn’t been playing many pots, an open raise is called for here almost every time. But fortunately you understand how the table currently perceives you. T&P allows you to make a fold that exploits this perception the next time you get AA. Another place this concept is important is in Heads Up play. Assume you’re playing a tough opponent who will not let you limp on the button. To counter, you’ve raised 6 straight pots with air on the button. Subsequently, it is often correct to fold a nice playable hand like J-To JUST to give your raises credibility. To translate:

Task: Fold J-To on the Button Heads Up.

Purpose: Let my opponent know I’m capable of folding weak hands Pre-Flop and set up subsequent steals.

One more:

Blinds are 50/100 in a $100+9 on Stars. You have T3000 and are in the BB. The button is an aggressive player who has stolen your blind the last 3 orbits. He raises to T300 again.

You have K-Jo and Re-raise to 700.

Task: Re-raise the button

Purpose: Win the pot outright and discourage future blind steals.

The button thinks for a minute and calls. The flop comes J-J-2.

Task: Lead with a bet of around 600 chips.

Purpose: Disguise your hand and deceive your opponent into thinking that you’re making a standard continuation bet.

The button quickly calls. The Turn is a brick like 7.

Task: Check

Purpose: Feign weakness and represent an AK that missed after the flop but still bet.

The T&Ps you select may not always be correct. A Task of “check” and Purpose of: “slowplay” will be incorrect if the board is coordinated enough. Similarly, a Task of "Bluff" and purpose of "represent trips" could be wrong if your opponent is known as a calling station. This is OK. A bad plan is infinitely better than no plan at all. If you learn from previous, incorrect T&Ps, the T&Ps you pick in the future will always be better. I encourage you all to get in the habit of always having a clear Task and Purpose. Your game will improve. Study on 2+2 to refine those T&Ps and you will be on your way to becoming a winning player.
Old 11-27-2005, 03:03 PM

Default Re: Task and Purpose in Poker: My Pooh Bah Dissertation (long)

good post.
Old 11-27-2005, 03:12 PM

nh sir
Old 11-27-2005, 04:10 PM

This is one of the better essays I've read on 2+2, ever.

I'm really low on the poker totem pole. Fact is, I'm where OP claims he was 2 years ago, and I realize that. I've been floundering with how to get out of that rut for awhile now, and there's been no spark that made me want to actually get down to business and do things right.

This post might be that spark. I'm not sure. But its well written, its not condescending, and its got some great points for rookies like myself. I wish my officers had been as intelligent and driven as you, BDD. That certainly would have made my time in the Corps less stressful [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Thanks for the insight.
Old 11-27-2005, 04:59 PM

Very nice post.
Old 11-27-2005, 05:01 PM

Thanks for this.
Old 11-27-2005, 05:16 PM

very insightful. thank you.
Old 11-27-2005, 06:04 PM

John - nice post.

Would you believe that I wasn't even aware that 1600 posts was the cut-off for pooh-bah?

I had a post at #1000 where I thanked the 2+2'ers for sending me on my way and helping me become a winning player.
I had post #10k where I couldn't think of anything (and didn't want to thank everybody again because that would be cheesy) where I said "Hooray. This is my 10,000th post!!" (incredibly original).

Your pooh-bah debut post is a bit more insightful than my efforts. well done.

Thanks for the acknowledgement but I think you deserve just a bit more credit than me for making it there!!

For those who don't know, John qualified for the WSOP somewhere around July 1 and then was out in Vegas just a few days later.

He played 3 of those double-shootouts on Stars and I believe made the 2nd table all 3 times so the guy already has an idea of what he's doing.

Stars is pretty handy for being able to build-up your W$ roll from fairly small amounts if that's the road you want to take.

I particularly liked his ideas that I used to employ about MTT meta-game and how one's table-image is at the table (like folding AJo after playing a lot of hands earlier).

This was something I used to do a lot more of. But thinking that much takes actual effort and it's just easier to go on auto-pilot and say 'I've got decent cards...so I play them. I've got crap cards so I don't play them.'

Is it any surprise that my tourney performance has been struggling lately?

Thanks for the reminder on what I should be doing at the tables. Hopefully gets my game on track (although I've been doing a bit better lately already).

See you at next year's WSOP hopefully!!
Welcome to pooh-bah-hood.
Old 11-27-2005, 06:09 PM

nice post.
Old 11-27-2005, 06:28 PM

nice post, although all that "task and purpose" talk kept conjuring this image in my head ... continued good luck to you.