Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-14-2005, 04:49 PM

Default Overbetting Part 1

In a series of Posts, I will post some of my thoughts on Overbetting, comments appreciated.

Lemme start by saying that the reason I love No Limit so [censored] much is because of the Nuke we have called the overbet.
I use it all the time, in deepstack or capped buyin games, and there are various conditions that need to exist that make
overbetting profitable.

Capped Buyin Long Handed games.
The overbet is very powerful in such a game if you are a LAG player, who with a stack can make the whole table puke.
This is my predominant style and hence when i first sit down i gamble till i get a stack, this has a huge amount a variance
associated with it, and I would'nt recommend it for the faint of heart, I call it my "Image Expense". Not uncommon for me
to be stuck 2-3 buyins within 20 mins of sitting down.
If the table consists of loose calling station types, I will overbet bluff them right from the get-go. This may sound stupid
and chip spewing, but if you are gonna play with this kinda person over any length of time, believe me, you're gonna get paid
off over every hand u make.
If this table consists of some tight players, who will not make great calls, the overbet bluff works even better, you get
them to fold and take down the pot.
If you do show your overbet bluffs as i do, it can very easily put the table on tilt and "bruise the egos" of some players.
When I do say overbet bluff, i mean thinking bluffs, not mindless chip spewing.
Old 11-14-2005, 04:59 PM

Default Re: Overbetting Part 1

[ QUOTE ]
If the table consists of loose calling station types, I will overbet bluff them right from the get-go. This may sound stupid
and chip spewing, but if you are gonna play with this kinda person over any length of time, believe me, you're gonna get paid
If this table consists of some tight players, who will not make great calls, the overbet bluff works even better, you get
If you do show your overbet bluffs as i do, it can very easily put the table on tilt and "bruise the egos" of some players.

[/ QUOTE ]

Any hand examples you want to post?
Old 11-14-2005, 05:07 PM

Are you drunk again?

I can't wait for the next installment.
Old 11-14-2005, 05:09 PM

You dont like it?
Please go ahead and critique.
Old 11-14-2005, 05:13 PM

I like alot. Some hands for example would be great too.
Old 11-14-2005, 05:23 PM

Could you please stop educating people ?
I think you have better write an article about "squeezing the last drop" by 40% pot bet on the turn and 1/4pot river "value bet" with made hands to get paid :-)

Best wishes
Old 11-14-2005, 05:25 PM

So.. overbet to extract greater value from the loose/bad players and overbet to bluff the tight/mediocre players. Ok, cool. Useful generalizations to be sure.
Old 11-14-2005, 05:40 PM

The problem I see with image expenses in online games is that people circulate quickly; something that can make taht expense a waste.
Old 11-14-2005, 06:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In a series of Posts, I will post some of my thoughts on Overbetting, comments appreciated.

Lemme start by saying that the reason I love No Limit so [censored] much is because of the Nuke we have called the overbet.
I use it all the time, in deepstack or capped buyin games, and there are various conditions that need to exist that make
overbetting profitable.

Capped Buyin Long Handed games.
The overbet is very powerful in such a game if you are a LAG player, who with a stack can make the whole table puke.
This is my predominant style and hence when i first sit down i gamble till i get a stack, this has a huge amount a variance
associated with it, and I would'nt recommend it for the faint of heart, I call it my "Image Expense". Not uncommon for me
to be stuck 2-3 buyins within 20 mins of sitting down.

[/ QUOTE ]

With a deep bankroll this is viable and you can with stand the craziness you'll see in the variance. I think like you said in the long term you get paid off large and it works out for you. But I'd be interested in what you consider "thinking bluffs" when you do your overbets with.

Ed S.
Old 11-14-2005, 11:47 PM

examples please.