Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments

Old 11-14-2005, 03:58 AM

Default Some more from the WSOP Circuit Event

Event #5, $550 NLHE. 1500 chips, WSOP blind structure, 50 minute levels.

Level 4 100/200 blinds.

I'm in the BB with 3500.

Passed around to the CO who is an insane action junky who limps into 60% of the pots and raises with any pair. At any point in a hand before significant money goes in... he could have literally any 2 cards. He loves draws, even bad ones. But he hasn't yet put a ton of money into a pot on the end without a big hand. Still, he's thus far limp-called all-in with 10-J preflop and 7-9c on a flop of 2h-2c-2d. He won both hands and has around 5K. If there were a craps table in the room, he would be running back and forth between every hand (whereas I would only do that after a beat.)

He limps, and the button and SB fold. I have 5-3 and check. 500 in the pot.

Flop is A-10-3 rainbow. Check-check.

Turn is a 3. I bet 300, CO calls.

River is a jack, no flush on board. I bet 400 and the CO takes a little more time than he usually does and raises to 1100. I have around 2600 behind.

Fold, call, or re-raise?

I'll post what I did and why tomorrow.

Irieguy
Old 11-14-2005, 04:30 AM

Default Re: Some more from the WSOP Circuit Event

Well I definitely would not push all in here, being as you said he could have any two.

Just by reading the post here I am getting the feeling he had KQ.

I dont know why, but when i play guys like this, while they splash around with any two, it doesn't mean they would put in a small bluff raise on the end. If you laid it down, I think it might have been a good fold.
Old 11-14-2005, 04:41 AM

Do you think he had a view of you in some way? Perhaps if he viewed you as overaggro yourself, he might pull a bluff or a raise on the river with a hand worse than trips.

I would just call here. As the first poster said it feels like KQ here (as he loves his weak draws as well) but I hate folding here against a weird, random player.
Old 11-14-2005, 11:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Do you think he had a view of you in some way? Perhaps if he viewed you as overaggro yourself, he might pull a bluff or a raise on the river with a hand worse than trips.

I would just call here. As the first poster said it feels like KQ here (as he loves his weak draws as well) but I hate folding here against a weird, random player.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's likely that he viewed me as "solid" but not afraid to move at a pot. Definitely not over-aggro as there were already 2 or 3 of those players at my table, so I had to be a different guy.

I was certain he wasn't bluff-raising, btw.

Irieguy
Old 11-14-2005, 12:03 PM

Hey Craig,

I enjoy your posts in STT.

Here are a few questions I think you need to ask yourself-

1) When he called your turn bet did you feel like he was slowplaying you or calling with a draw?

2) Would he raise from the CO with KQ or just limp?

3) Would your opponent bet 2nd or 3rd pair ATF?

4) Is there much of a chance that he is changing up his play and making a move here?

5) What does his pause on the river mean?

I think you are ahead here often enough to make calling correct as you are only behind to the unlikely holdings of AA / TT / JJ / KQ / 3 with a better kicker.

From the info available I call and probably get shown a 3 with a better kicker or AA (as I would have expected a PFR from TT/JJ). I think AA is a strong possibility given the way this hand played out.
Old 11-14-2005, 12:04 PM

Irie,

Fun hand, I liked the description about the craps table.

Anyway, I think the obvious answer here is to call. I mean I don't really see how you can be arriving at a fold from your description, even if he is bluffing 0%. In tournaments in spots like these I feel compelled to almost always call (if not raise) because the unknown idiot/donkey opponent could always be overvaluing a worse hand. Maybe this is a leak of mine, but I would be just terrified folding and the villain having some ace he was slow playing. Plus, you have the added bonus here of chopping the pot versus many other 3s. I can't see how you can fold.

Raising is interesting, but if you don't think he's bluffing here, does that also mean he'll felt it with worse? I quite frankly have no idea.

-Jason
Old 11-14-2005, 12:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Definitely not over-aggro as there were already 2 or 3 of those players at my table, so I had to be a different guy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting. Often times when I have aggressive players at my table then it seems like we just go to war until one is gone.
Old 11-14-2005, 12:39 PM

This is close between a raise and a call. He very easily could be overvaluing AT, TJ or even a naked ace. On top of that, you chop with a lot of 3s. I lean towards a call however.
Old 11-14-2005, 12:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Definitely not over-aggro as there were already 2 or 3 of those players at my table, so I had to be a different guy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting. Often times when I have aggressive players at my table then it seems like we just go to war until one is gone.

[/ QUOTE ]

There was definitely a time in my tournament "career" when that was my approach. But the WSOP this year (when I had to deal with Jim Bechtel and Layne Flack for several hours each) taught me that there are other ways to manage this situation... namely to stay out of the way and use a few well-timed re-steals to build my stack while I wait for the situation to change.

Irieguy
Old 11-14-2005, 12:56 PM

Yes.

But, I'm guessing these LAGs werent quite Flack caliber [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]?

If that was the case, I'd just try to run them over or go down trying.