Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-12-2005, 11:11 PM

Default Super System was updated. Why not Caro\'s Book of Tells?

I am mostly an online player but want to get into live play more. I started reading Caro's book a couple days ago and am about halfway through it. It is a wonderful book and I have learned a lot. It has so much valuable info, I will need to re-read it a couple times.

My only complaint is it seems to be out of date in some areas. There are a lot of examples that use Draw and even more that use Stud. I know Stud is still played but Draw is dead. It would be much more effective if the tells were applied to Holdem. Like 75% Holdem, 15% Omaha and 10% Stud.

Also, since the big wave of new players the game has got in the last 3-4 years (particulary younger players), it seems that some of the tells could be updated. Maybe even more added. I know that Tells are more about human nature than a card game, but the closer the reader can relate to the material, the more he or she can learn.

The book is really good as it is. Lots to learn. I just think it could be even better. SuperSystem 2 was great, in that there was no draw section and introduced a lot of players to some new games (like Triple-Draw).

I am curious to hear other's thoughts on this.
Old 11-12-2005, 11:51 PM

Default Re: Super System was updated. Why not Caro\'s Book of Tells?

Unconcious expressions don't change...games do.

---Leavenfish
Old 11-13-2005, 12:47 AM

I completely agree but I think the player base has shifted to a younger crowd. Are unconcious expressions from a 21 year old the same as a 40 year old? I think in a lot of ways they are but some ways maybe not.

Just food for thought.
Old 11-13-2005, 11:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Are unconcious expressions from a 21 year old the same as a 40 year old?

[/ QUOTE ]
Absolutely. More important than tells, however, are betting patterns. Read Harrington vol. 1. There is a lot there that can be applied to cash games. Tells are very applicable to newbies, but players with more experience, even the bad ones, cover their tells better. It's more important to know the types of hands the person plays and in what situations they play them to get an idea if they have you beat. The main thing I learned from Caro was watching the players and not the flop to get their reaction as to whether or not the flop helped them and going from there.
Old 11-14-2005, 12:19 PM

Default A new tells book is coming in 2006

The Ultimate Guide to Poker Tells: Devestate Opponents by Reading Body Language, Table Talk, Chip Moves, And Much More

By Randy Burgess, with Carl Baldassarre will be published by Triumph Books next May.

It features all new material, including photos, with a heavy emphasis on hold'em and no limit hold'em, as well as background on the psychological and physiological bases of tells, combining tells with betting patterns and strategic considerations, and a lot of other good information.

I'm the "with" author on this book, and I think it will be a nice companion volume to the Caro classic.
Old 11-15-2005, 02:15 AM

Default Re: A new tells book is coming in 2006

[ QUOTE ]
The Ultimate Guide to Poker Tells: Devestate Opponents by Reading Body Language, Table Talk, Chip Moves, And Much More

By Randy Burgess, with Carl Baldassarre will be published by Triumph Books next May.

It features all new material, including photos, with a heavy emphasis on hold'em and no limit hold'em, as well as background on the psychological and physiological bases of tells, combining tells with betting patterns and strategic considerations, and a lot of other good information.

I'm the "with" author on this book, and I think it will be a nice companion volume to the Caro classic.

[/ QUOTE ]

Look forward to it!
Old 11-15-2005, 08:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Caro's book is stil applicable, especially to guys over 40. It's amazing how you will still see that stuff unfold before your eyes.

I would imagine your book will be more applicable to today's under age 35 players, right? If so, it will be a great companion to Caro's book. Hurry up with the release date [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]
Old 11-15-2005, 11:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Caro's book is stil applicable, especially to guys over 40. It's amazing how you will still see that stuff unfold before your eyes.

I would imagine your book will be more applicable to today's under age 35 players, right? If so, it will be a great companion to Caro's book. Hurry up with the release date [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, please hurry. I can't wait to get it.

It seems that there are about 15 books coming out next spring that I am itching to get. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]