Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-23-2005, 11:23 AM

Default Is There a Fish Here?

20/40 HE @ Borgata, Atlantic City

I've got Mr. Bling Bling two seats on my right. 50 yrs old, with a nice watch, necklace & rings, whining with the woman on my left about how their property taxes (they live in the same city close to AC) have gone up to 4K per year.

Bling Bling likes to steal when he's in the HJ if it's folded to him, so I'm in the SB at that time & the BB when he has the CO. He open raised in the SB and we went to war a 1/2 dozen times when this hand came up:

3 people limp & Bling calls, the button & SB fold & I find 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] and raise from the BB.

This is the first time I have gotten out of line in the blinds during the 5 hr session. I am an 18% flop kinda guy, who raises 95% of the time when he opens and hardly ever calls a raise preflop, chosing to either re-raise or fold, unless there are several players and I have something like T9s or better. They have to put me on something good if they have been paying attention, and, they have. They all call.

$210 in the pot and 5 players.

Flop: 7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

I ask: "Could I ask for anything more out of a flop that doesn't at least pair my hand?"

I bet and, unfortunately, only 1 of the limpers calls and Mr. Bling raises. I call, as does the limper.

Turn: K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Now, I ask myself, what could Mr. Bling have limped with?" I decide to try and represent AK that I raised preflop with and bet out and the limper fold, Mr. Bling raises, I re-raise and he comes over the top. Foiled again. I've got to put him on KQ here, at the least. I call.

River: T [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

I have made my straight! Now, that's nice, however, I go after a ck/raise and Mr. Bling checks, foiling me again.

Thoughts?
Old 10-23-2005, 01:09 PM

Default Re: Is There a Fish Here?

Don't waste your time trying to get opponents to fold in these spots, it's a waste of bets. None the less, your raise preflop isn't too bad since you have to have ok equity.

On the flop I would be betting and raising at every opportunity. Heads up you're a favourite over anything except a set, and with three players in the pot it's money city.

On the turn, I would check and call, as with one card to come you are no longer a favourite. On the river, I would lead out, hoping to get raised so I can three bet.
Old 10-23-2005, 03:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I ask: "Could I ask for anything more out of a flop that doesn't at least pair my hand?"

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you actually say this out loud? After this hand, you might consider staying quiet. This tell-em-what-you-have strategy may not work so well.

-Eric
Old 10-23-2005, 05:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Did you actually say this out loud?

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont think he said that out loud, if he did then, wow. That being said I 3bet the flop.

-Brad
Old 10-23-2005, 05:43 PM

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] -EV, announcing the flop's strength to your hand. [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

I pattern my habits after Annie Duke's brother, what's his name............Ice....oh yea.....I think....the math whiz.
Howard's the man.
Old 10-23-2005, 06:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Is There a Fish Here?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes or at least FPS.

3-bet the flop, don't check/raise the turn and bet the river.

Is this like the opposite espisode of Seinfeld where you play the hand the opposite of normal?
Old 10-23-2005, 06:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] -EV, announcing the flop's strength to your hand. [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

I pattern my habits after Annie Duke's brother, what's his name............Ice....oh yea.....I think....the math whiz.
Howard's the man.

[/ QUOTE ]

Umm what?

-Brad
Old 10-24-2005, 02:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Is There a Fish Here?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes or at least FPS.

3-bet the flop, don't check/raise the turn and bet the river.

Is this like the opposite espisode of Seinfeld where you play the hand the opposite of normal?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think I must have been listening to Phish at the time [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
I played the hand real bad. Didn't raise the Flop, as I didn't want to lose the limper......I wanted his 1 SB... Then I get over-aggressive on the Turn, with nothing. Then I suck out on the River and am embarrassed.
Old 10-25-2005, 11:52 AM

wait whats the bling bling guys name ? im a regular at 20/40 40/80 borgata i think i might know who ya talking about. This guys always donkin it up and says he never swipes his card in at poker b/c it ruins his black jack comps. Whata clown.
Old 10-25-2005, 12:52 PM

you gotta bet that river!