Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments

Old 09-25-2005, 12:00 AM

Default Let\'s discuss that new fangled call the turn, bet out the turn move

I can't remember who posted about this some time back, but I'd like to bring it up again. Bascially, I'd like to know if the move was intended as a bluff, or to get better value. I thought I remember it as being a "if you have a good hand, get better value" move. I've been experimenting with it lately in SnGs and a little in multis and I get folds SO often, I can do it with seemingly any two. The key is just to watch their flop bet, if it seems weak (like only 1/2 or 1/3 the pot) and PF they only min raised, betting out on the turn works so well. I dunno, just thought I'd try to get a discussion going, but it won't work cuz nobody responds to my threads cuz nobody likes me.
Old 09-25-2005, 12:07 AM

Default Re: Let\'s discuss that new fangled call the turn, bet out the flop move

I assume you mean call the flop , lead the turn .
Old 09-25-2005, 12:09 AM

Default Re: Let\'s discuss that new fangled call the turn, bet out the flop move

[ QUOTE ]
cuz nobody responds to my threads cuz nobody likes me

[/ QUOTE ]

if nobody loves you... just remember, you can love yourself
- Keb Mo
Old 09-25-2005, 12:10 AM

Default Re: Let\'s discuss that new fangled call the turn, bet out the flop mov

I LIKE YOU!

Anyway, I think you messed up the thread title. So call the turn, bet out the flop, eh? I really do like this move, but it really works better on the river actually. Your opponent will be unable to chase any draws, and they assume more likely that you have a hand. This move is spectacular when playing out of position against someone you do not believe made a hand.
Old 09-25-2005, 12:11 AM

Yup thats what I meant.

Kinda busy doing unreasonably well in the 40k.
Old 09-25-2005, 12:25 AM

If I recall correctly this was brought up by Strassa as a "better way" of geting value when you had the goods because the check-raise allowed the other player to get away too easily. He was saying that you were more likely to get a call, where you are implying you are more likely to get a fold. I suspect the difference is due to the respective level of your/his opponents.

P.S. I was joking about "loving yourself", nobody responds to my posts either and I even build charts to try and splain myself
Old 09-25-2005, 12:30 AM

Yeah it's cool. Everyone needs some love, sometimes even from themselves.

Maybe it is due to quality of opponents. But its amazing how much I get this fold *if* I think I have a read that opponent is weak.
Old 09-25-2005, 12:36 AM

Default Re: Let\'s discuss that new fangled call the turn, bet out the turn mov

Well ya.. basically if someone takes a stab at the pot and you call them on the flop, they'll just give up, so if they're bet on the flop was just a feeler/continuation bet, then you can bet the turn and take it away.. but I don't know if I can call a flop bet with nothing and then lead the turn with nothing unless I was like 80% + sure they have nothing..

Small betting the flop is usually, "I have a little something, but it's not great" or "I totally missed the flop , but you probably did too" or "I hit something really good, let's see if I can make more money out of it by betting small"

It differs on levels too.. like low level buy-in, people will notoriously underbet with like TPTK, so you think you're middle pair might be good, or you try and take it away from them, but that's just how they bet all the time..
Old 09-25-2005, 12:55 AM

it keeps the pot small with a decent hand
Old 09-25-2005, 01:17 AM

I like to do it because rarely will the check/call/bet strategy get raised - it's usually folded or called. A player's response to a check raise is either a reraise (usually AI) or a fold. As Tom said, if your hand is merely decent, it's a better play.