Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-22-2005, 05:27 AM

Default Annie Duke\'s book: anyone read it?

Annie Duke : How I Raised, Folded, Bluffed, Flirted, Cursed, and Won Millions at the World Series of Poker...

The reviews I read on amazon were all very positive.

I haven't seen anything about the book here and was wondering if anyone has read it and what they thought. Is it worth getting? For just stories? For strategy? For both? How does it compare to the other books out there?
Old 09-22-2005, 05:37 AM

Default Re: Annie Duke\'s book: anyone read it?

Very bad....... The book is autobiographical, very little to do with poker stratagy. Annie is very delusional and self centered. I'll give you a sample pararagraph from her book.

"I, me, bub, me, me, me, I, I, I. Greatest female player of all time, me, me, me. Highest cash games, I, I, I. Every single female record, I, me, I."

Also, I lost alot of respect for 2+2er Dan Harrington. He flat out lied on the back cover of the book with his positive review. I would like to see him defend his claims.

-Dimitri
Old 09-22-2005, 06:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Also, I lost alot of respect for 2+2er Dan Harrington. He flat out lied on the back cover of the book with his positive review. I would like to see him defend his claims.

[/ QUOTE ]

At the risk of coming across as instigating, I would like to see you defend your claim that you lost a lot of respect for Dan Harrington because of his review and yet you didn't even mention Raymer, a fellow 2+2'er whose blurb on the back was more laudatory than Harrington's. I don't know if neither or both are "lying" with their endorsements, but that's neither here nor there - I just don't see how you can be disappointed in one and not the other when they both said the same thing.

Apropos the thread title, however, I'm reading it right now and will post my own thoughts when finished.
Old 09-22-2005, 06:21 AM

I skimmed it in a bookstore, I would describe it as interesting but a bit fluffy. I enjoyed the skimming, but I don't think I would buy it.
Old 09-22-2005, 06:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
...The book is autobiographical...I'll give you a sample pararagraph from her book.

"I, me, bub, me, me, me, I, I, I. Greatest female player of all time, me, me, me. Highest cash games, I, I, I. Every single female record, I, me, I."

[/ QUOTE ]

Isn't that the point of an autobiography, to be self centered? From my quick bookstore skim, the book is intented to be about her poker journey. Perhaps she does a bit of ego stroking or something that rubbed you the wrong way. Besides, how many autobiographies have you read to be completely self depreciating?

I don't know if the book is any good or not from my cursory look, but it doesn't seem to be a poker strategy book. Just because it's not a strategy textbook doesn't by any means make for a bad poker book. If that were true, you could throw your Alvarez books in the trash.

At the moment, I have plenty of books in the queue not to have the slightest inclination to read this book... I'd rather read more strategy-oriented books. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Walter
Old 09-22-2005, 12:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]

-Dimitri

[/ QUOTE ]

What is his review? Did he say that he enjoyed reading the book? Might be true [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

Did he say that it made him a better tournament player? Hard to imagine.
Old 09-22-2005, 12:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The reviews I read on amazon were all very positive.

[/ QUOTE ]

I smell a BIG RAT. All of those reviews were short, concise, and very well-written. None of the 5 reviewers had ever written a book review on Amazon before. Typical Amazon reviewers are worse than typical 2+2 posters. They have dozens if not hundreds of reviews, and they ramble on and on. That whole thing is "rediculous". Those reviews are an obvious con job from her PR folks or the publisher.

[ QUOTE ]

I haven't seen anything about the book here and was wondering if anyone has read it and what they thought. Is it worth getting? For just stories? For strategy? For both? How does it compare to the other books out there?

[/ QUOTE ]

I read an advance copy of the book which had numerous factual errors about poker. Some of this stuff many be attributable to her co-author, but this is pretty sloppy writing for a pro. I will give the authors the benefit of the doubt, and not comment on those, as they may have been cleaned up in the final editing.

The main body of the book is a combination of her biography and a recounting of her winning an Omaha/8 event at the 2004 WSOP. The chapters alternate back and forth between these two topics. There are a couple of preliminary chapters explaining the basics of poker and poker jargon, along with brief descriptions of the major players in that tournament. There is also a brief final chapter summarizing her winning the Tournament of Champions against Hellmuth, Lederer, et al.

The biography was fairly straight forward, and, to me, largely uninteresting. This is admittedly a personal thing. The only part of her life that I would find interesting are the details of the highly competitive nature of her family. There is nothing new here that Howard has not covered elsewhere. There is a lot of detail on her marriage and her children, both in general and in relation to a poker career, as well as her life-long problems with anxiety/panic attacks. Again, these are things I find boring, not because of the writing, but because of the topic. At the risk of being politically incorrect, the biographical content of the book would generally be of much more interest to women than to men.

She does spend a few pages discussing the Negreanu flame war, without mentioning him by name. She says that this caused her to reevaluate her motives for playing poker, and that she came out of it feeling better about herself than she did before it happened.

Unfortunately, I found the description of the tournament to be generally uninteresting also. There are a few brief glances into the life of high stakes poker, such as:

“Tournaments are much more of a high-variance situation. …Because of the high variance, I have a backer—my good friend Erik Seidel—who puts up 100 percent of the buy-in and gets a percent of the return. In cash games, I play my own money.”

She also mentions that she and Chris Ferguson have a standing 5% mutual sharing arrangement on their tournament play, and thus she had 5% of Chris when he won the Main Event. (She doesn’t mention if that applied to the $2 million she won in the Tournament of Champions.) She also talks about a big cash game against “…the famous Texas billionaire (who’s a fish, so I don’t want to name him).” Oh, really?

But for the most part, the description of the tournament seems very routine and matter of fact, with few good insights into the strategy. The last chapter about the Tournament of Champions, is very good in this aspect. However, this description appeared in much the same detail on her web site some time back, and looks like something tacked onto the book at the last minute. In fact, everything about strategy on her web site is much better than anything in this book.

There are “strategy tips” sprinkled throughout the narrative, but these are of the most elementary level, and of no interest to anyone who has ever read any decent poker book.
Old 09-22-2005, 01:18 PM

You should write more book reviews.
Old 09-22-2005, 01:55 PM

Perhaps he never had any respect for Raymer to lose?
Old 09-22-2005, 04:09 PM

i agree on the fishiness of the amazon book reviews.... they just seem too punchy and concise. like a PR wrote them.... just have that strong feeling... although there was a spelling error, but i assume that's what smart PR firms do to portray authenticity.

if you haven't read the reviews, do, as i think you'll agree.