Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-06-2005, 05:39 PM

Default I need to learn how to delegate (non poker)

I own and operate a small retail business. I do not consider myself a businessman or an entrepreneur. I am more of a storekeeper imo and that is all I want to be. I have been very successful with this approach for the past 15 years.

I do not only look at my business as a financial endeavor. I live in a small community and the way I operate my business has a direct effect on how the people that live here view me as a friend or neighbor.

So what is the problem?

In the last 3 years my sales have increased by over 30%. Nice problem to have most will say I am sure but it has caused more problems than you can imagine. Years of doing things the same way have made me rigid and unwilling to change my operating practices. Here a few of the things I am talking about.

1. I need more staff.

Easy just hire some right? Well that is easier said than done. I have a high standard and the position I need filled (cashier) attracts a very unskilled type of person. So I try to pay a high wage to try and get a better quality employee. This backfires as anyone skilled enough to earn this high of a wage can easily find a much more enjoyable and rewarding job elsewhere as there is lots of job opportunities here. So I end up will a bunch of over paid idiots or bunch of idiots stealing me blind every time I turn my back.

2. My level of service is dropping.

3. I am often understaffed which leads to my current staff and myself getting burned out.

Basically I feel an emotional attachment to my job is stopping me from making the smart choices when it comes to dealing with the changes I am currently facing. Any ideas you could share would be appreciated.
Old 09-06-2005, 05:48 PM

Default Re: I need to learn how to delegate (non poker)

Open a Yahoo or Amazon store and close down your own store. Let their merchant software do the cashier stuff.
Old 09-06-2005, 06:03 PM

What kind of shop are you running? What is it about day-to-day operations that gives you satisfaction? Have you actually had the problems with staff that you describe, or are these just the things you anticipate happening?
Old 09-06-2005, 06:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Easy just hire some right? Well that is easier said than done. I have a high standard and the position I need filled (cashier) attracts a very unskilled type of person. So I try to pay a high wage to try and get a better quality employee.

[/ QUOTE ]

Since you are looking for a cashier don't advertise, go shopping for them. Every time you go to a store or fast food joint check out the cashiers. When you see one that is friendly, competent, and treats you like you would like your customers treated tell them you would like hire them or interview them for a job at a pay hike from what they are making now. They are out there. Today I stopped for lunch at a sub place I frequent and happened to be on the cell phone when I walked it. The clerk made me the right sub with all the correct stuffings and I never said a word to her except thank you when I left. If I had a business I'd hire her.

starbits
Old 09-06-2005, 06:45 PM

Don't know where you or what type of business you own, but will offer a quick suggestion. Look for a retiree who needs some extra income who has no desire to move up.

Do you offer benefits? Many will work for the same wage McDonald's pays if they can get benefits.

My guess is that your best cashiers keep leaving because they are smart, motivated people who require more job satisfaction and income potential than a cashier job offers. There's no sin in that, just ask them if they have any friends who need jobs, I doubt they will purposefully send you a deadbeat.

Good luck...
Old 09-06-2005, 07:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What kind of shop are you running?

[/ QUOTE ]

It is a convenience store no gas.

[ QUOTE ]
What is it about day-to-day operations that gives you satisfaction?

[/ QUOTE ]

I like the idea that I am building something more than just a moneymaking business. I take pride in doing a good job and it is a good feeling to run an independent successful business when everything is becoming franchised. Several of my suppliers are very surprised at my sales volume when they see I am taking on much bigger chain type stores.

My business is part of the community and I like the feeling of tradition that comes with that. I like knowing my customers as most of them I know on a first name basis and several I have served for over 15 years. It is a small town and it is hard to explain why I live here and what I like about it but there are lots of reasons.

[ QUOTE ]
Have you actually had the problems with staff that you describe, or are these just the things you anticipate happening?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes and I am understating the problems. I have always worked a lot from what other people tell me. I work about 60-80 hours a week and only take maybe 2 days off per month and never take holidays. But it is only the last 3 years that I have not enjoyed doing it.

I have very high staff turn over, people last about 2 months tops. They often tell me the job is just too hard as the pace is too much. I find this hard to understand as I am used to it. And I take it as they want to find a job that pays the same but requires less effort.

The fact that they steal from me does not seem to matter anymore, as they never steal enough to affect my bottom line profits enough to cause me concern financially. I could ramble on about the problems forever but lets just say I am at the point that I realize I can not wait for things to change or return to the way they were I need to change.

In the past I have not had these problems and was able to find enough skilled staff for my needs. Things have changed as my business has increased so has that of the entire area and other business owners have expressed the same conserns to me. It is a boom time I guess but supply is not keeping up to demand imo.
Old 09-06-2005, 07:24 PM

Very good ideas here and also from 4_2_it.

But I posted this here as I think I cause my own problems by not accepting the solutions. As I feel the main thing holding me back at this point is my unwillingness to try new ways of solving problems.

I am in a rut of doing things the same way and I have to break out of it. I will try these ideas you both have provided but like anything the success I get from them will depend on the level of effort I put into it.

Not sure that made sense. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 09-06-2005, 07:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Very good ideas here and also from 4_2_it.

But I posted this here as I think I cause my own problems by not accepting the solutions. As I feel the main thing holding me back at this point is my unwillingness to try new ways of solving problems.

I am in a rut of doing things the same way and I have to break out of it. I will try these ideas you both have provided but like anything the success I get from them will depend on the level of effort I put into it.

Not sure that made sense. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

The fact that you seem to have identified the problem is, in my opinion, the most significant thing to take from this thread. You are, by your own admission, a successful businessman. You know what you need to do. You are hesitant to change your ways (understandable), but see that the ways are changing and there is nothing you can do to stop it so you'd better roll with it.

Good luck.