Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-05-2005, 08:19 PM

Default ($22) 3 Basic Bubble Hands- Advice Wanted

I'm looking for the standard lines you guys take in these positions..

1st hand- opponent raised the last hand and has raised a lot when he is button/sb.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t200 (4 handed) converter

SB (t3685)
Hero (t1325)
UTG (t1470)
Button (t1520)

Preflop: Hero is BB with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to t600</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero ??

2nd hand--

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t150 (4 handed)
SB (t4315)
BB (t1665)
UTG (t945)
Hero (t1075)

Preflop: Hero is Button with Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB completes, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero Push/Call/Fold?

3rd hand--
Button has been very weak.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t150 (4 handed) converter

BB (t4540)
UTG (t1590)
Button (t1095)
Hero (t775)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls t150, Does anyone push here?
Old 09-05-2005, 09:56 PM

Default Re: ($22) 3 Basic Bubble Hands- Advice Wanted

I think these hands require more info. (although, if raptor can 20-table, I guess there is a standard line)

Hand 1 depends on how loose you and button have been, if you've been quiet a push will have a greater likely hood of taking it down. But if he's been known to call with less than optimal hands, you might want to reconsider...this hand is tough for me as Im constantly in the same dilemma and dont really know the right way to go about it.

Hand 2 is dependant on how often SB has been pushing. Obviously if he does it alot and now just completes, you know your in trouble.

Hand 3 I think is a clear push, but then again, if button has been pushing alot and now just calls?...kinda shady.
Old 09-05-2005, 10:14 PM

3 very good questions bluef0x. Gets a n00b thinkin [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

I am still relatively new to SNG's and am learning every day (Less than 350 under my belt). Last week I would push every one of these. But recently I have been rethinking my bubble play. I'm playing a lot at UB and stars right now while I look for a good rakeback deal, and the longer tournaments and longer bubbles have made me completely readdress my play.

Hand #1 Against an opponent that has raised two pots in a row (not pushed) I'm inclined to fold this; as more often then not I am shown big hands in this spot. This is definitely a problem for SNG power tools or Eastbay's program. Both of which you have inspired me to acquire! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Still my first instinct is to push. Leak?

Hand #2 I'm pushing here every day, though I am excited to see what my $EV and cEV for pushing here is.

Hand #3 Even though you only have 775 here, I'm either calling or folding here. I'm called by Ace-rag in this spot more than I'm comfortable with. I'd probably muck with the BB as big stack in this hand depending on how he's been-playing. Weak-tight? Flame away.
Old 09-05-2005, 10:17 PM

I think these are all easy pushes with the chip stacks in the diffrent hands.
Old 09-05-2005, 10:22 PM

2nd hand. Am I missing something or does the order seem wrong?
Old 09-06-2005, 07:52 AM

1. Stop and go
2. Push
3. I think push or complete are ok, problem with pushing is not the button but the BB, who will be priced into calling with quite a lot.
Old 09-06-2005, 08:19 AM

Hand one is interesting, and is the only hand of the 3 that really requires thought, IMHO.

Button scares me. A raise to 3x BB on the bubble in a $22 game means one of 2 things:

a) I am a terrible player, and will fold to an all in
b) I am trying to make you push all in so I can show down my monster

Of the 2, I think b is more likely. You have to think in buttons shoes. and in order to do that you must have a read on him. Has he been playing other hands like this? If his standard is to push, this is an easy fold. If his standard is 3x BB no matter what the blinds are, then it may be a push. If you were in his shoes (which you almost never should be) what would you be holding to make such a play? What is going on in his head?

4 handed ATs is a strong hand, and I have a love/hate feeling for folding here. This is a push/fold situation since you will be risking more than 40% of your stack. You really need a good read to push here. If button is a donk, with no clue how to play the bubble, this is an easy push.

You need a good read here to make a good decision. With no reads I would fold this hand, simply because it appears they want a call.

Hands 2 and 3 are both auto-pushes in my game (for the most part). However keep in mind that there is no set rule that you have to push these. There are times that some of my "auto-push" hands are worth folding. I recommmend really think (out loud if need be) about every decision you make at the table , and you should have at least 2 good reasons why you are making a play before you make it. "Because X from 2+2 told me to", is not a reason by the way [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 09-06-2005, 09:06 AM

What's wrong with a stop and go on hand 1, please.
Old 09-06-2005, 09:31 AM

Had all 3 as auto push (Standard line), but I now prefer the stop&amp;go for hand 1.
Old 09-06-2005, 10:37 AM

I suppose a stop and go would be fine if you like the play.

Personally I tend to stay away from stop and gos. I prefer to play the flop, and not have my mind set on pushing any flop. To me, that just doesn't make sense. At the higher limits, yes, it might be a good play. But at the $22s, not likely the best choice.