Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-18-2005, 02:31 AM

Default Too advanced thinking for 25NL?

A little background: I have experience in higher games than this and I'm usually a tournament player. Though I get by on ring games if I give them a chance... Here's the hand: First one at the table (so no reads whatsoever)

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.25 BB (9 handed) converter

saw flop|<font color="#C00000">saw showdown</font>

MP2 ($23.95)
<font color="#C00000">MP3 ($27.30)</font>
CO ($22.85)
Button ($25)
SB ($13.75)
<font color="#C00000">Hero ($25)</font>
UTG ($68.30)
UTG+1 ($11.55)
MP1 ($33.60)

Preflop: Hero is BB with J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP1 calls $0.25, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP3 calls $0.25, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, SB completes, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $1.5</font>, MP1 calls $1.25, MP3 calls $1.25, SB folds.

Flop: ($4.75) 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $3.5</font>, MP1 calls $3.50, MP3 calls $3.50.

Turn: ($15.25) 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $5.5</font>, MP1 folds, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 raises to $22.3</font>, Hero calls $14.50 (All-In).

River: ($57.55) K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: $57.55

For some reason I thought this was a bluff push. Generally a player at these limits will raise a flush draw on a flop like that, right? Am I giving him too much credit by assuming he would raise this flop with a flush draw? Calling this all-in is assuming he DOESN'T have the flush and is trying to bluff the pot....

Thoughts? Comments? Is it WAY past my bedtime or what??
Old 08-18-2005, 02:46 AM

Default Re: Too advanced thinking for 25NL?

I think its too advanced for this level.

I think this leve should be. they'll cal with anything and I won't put my stack in when they hit.
Old 08-18-2005, 02:57 AM

with 2 callers..you gotta check-fold these
Old 08-18-2005, 03:05 AM

Even without the club I'm betting this turn assuming a straight card/overcard doesn't hit. Are you saying I should insta-check/fold this turn no matter what pops up. I'm not really fearing the nuts here...
Old 08-18-2005, 03:41 AM

I don't think you should assume that a 25 NL player would raise with just a flush draw. Most of these players are way too passive to make that kind of aggressive play.

I think you are overthinking in this spot, unless you had a specific read on your opponent.

I would probably bet the turn and fold to a re-raise out of position, and check behind in position.
Old 08-18-2005, 04:39 AM

I'm pretty inexperienced at NL... could you explain the reasoning behind raising a flush draw on the flop here? Thanks.
Old 08-18-2005, 04:47 AM

Raising a flush draw is ment to give the illusion that you alredy have a hand, but fear the flush yourself. This is to make your opponent more likely to keep shipping his money if you hit the flush.

Also it gives you a bit looser table image which might be good in order to get paid with alredy made hands later on.
Old 08-18-2005, 04:48 AM

I don't see why you are assuming/thinking that he would raise on the flush draw here. First, it's a mutliway pot and he's in position. Second, he's got some one, whom he's in position on, who is showing a bunch of strength. If he gets cute with it and raises, he's probably afraid you'll put him in. Also, he might be worried a little about the guy who is sandwiched having a set, but also hoping he does and then Villain gets paid off in two spots with his flush. It looks like a great place to just call. You don't have to buy every pot, especialy against a guy showing strength and another calling.

And I definitely check/fold that turn. Against two opponents, you're up against at least two pair. No way it's any good there. But if you have to bet out, fold to the all in.
Old 08-18-2005, 04:51 AM

Default Pokerstars...

The Pokerstars 25$ NL sucks. Total rock garden. It's a horrible game to break into. Go to pokeroom or something.
Old 08-18-2005, 04:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't see why you are assuming/thinking that he would raise on the flush draw here. First, it's a mutliway pot and he's in position. Second, he's got some one, whom he's in position on, who is showing a bunch of strength.

[/ QUOTE ]

Because I honestly don't give my opponents this much credit. It IS 25NL and the majority of the players are not going to know as much about position as your typical 2p2er. I've noticed that people tend to think a raise means AKo AKs AQo AQs AJo/s etc... when I do have pockets pairs people are drawing for their overs.

I'm pretty sure my play was bad. 75% sure anyway, but I don't think he's push the flush. Wouldn't he want value out of it?