Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-01-2005, 02:34 PM

Default A WPT final table hand

Maybe thsi was discussed before but I missed it. It's a situation that comes up often enough and I wondered what you thought of Ivey's play here.

6 Players left. 6th place pays $264K, 5th pays $377K, 4th is $519K

Rob Hollink goes all-in for his last 320K. Hassan Habib calls after asking for a count. He has 10 million. Now Ivey goes all-in for 2.5 million with AJ.

I make this move a lot, in effect gambling that the big stack can't call you, allowing you to play for a bigger pot with the same number of your chips at risk, but I've never done it deep in the money. Eliminating Hollink gets him over $100K, (which admittedly means a lot more to me than Phil Ivey).

In the end it cost Ivey as Hollink won with pocket Q's. and Habib would have knocked him out with KQ, and Ivey went out 6th.

Anyone just call here?
Old 08-01-2005, 02:37 PM

Default Re: A WPT final table hand

Ivey has a tendency to play brilliant poker for days on end, then all of a sudden come out and leave a complete novice turd on the table..

He's relies on his reads to win, When he's right he looks like a genius and when he's wrong on the read, it can look really ugly.
Old 08-01-2005, 02:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ivey has a tendency to play brilliant poker for days on end, then all of a sudden come out and leave a complete novice turd on the table..

He's relies on his reads to win, When he's right he looks like a genius and when he's wrong on the read, it can look really ugly.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think calling here would be a complete novice play.
Old 08-01-2005, 02:44 PM

Different situations for different people. Phil Ivey was essentially playing for first place. Sekrah, you make it sound like a routine move to put a desperate short-stack on QQ UTG and and fold A-J. Phil figured Hasan was a bit weak because he didn't re-raise to isolate the short-stack and I'm sure a majority of the time A-J figures to be ahead or in a race situation. Cooperation is +EV play for someone on a short bankroll but I can't really fault Ivey too much there.
Old 08-01-2005, 02:45 PM

Do you think folding would be novice? There's many hands that have A-J beat here.
Old 08-01-2005, 02:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Do you think folding would be novice? There's many hands that have A-J beat here.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you are being extremely results oriented. The short stack will obviously push with an extremely wide range of hands. Phil was just unlucky the shortstack actually picked up a monster hand.
Old 08-01-2005, 02:48 PM

I disagree.. If I'm playing to win, I keep the short-stack around to build chips through the other players such as Hasan. Let Hollink and the others sit around $400k-$500k.
Old 08-01-2005, 02:49 PM

Fair enough.. but do I work to eliminate players to move up in spots, or do I keep the short stack around to build chips through the other players?

The only problem I have here, is we have no fold equity, and we're probably a dog to eliminate the short-stack.. Also.. Who doesn't know if Hassan smooth called with A-A here trying to draw Ivey in?
Old 08-01-2005, 02:51 PM

Well, he obviously is going for first. And I do not think comparing yourself to Ivey is fair at all.
A better way to win is to take chances like this, risking 300k to win 1 mil.
Old 08-01-2005, 02:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The only problem I have here, is we have no fold equity, and we're probably a dog to eliminate the short-stack.. Also.. Who doesn't know if Hassan smooth called with A-A here trying to draw Ivey in?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is very inexperienced thinking.