Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments

Old 07-31-2005, 10:15 PM

Default Cheapest way to find out where you are

Made up situation that I seem to run into once a week.

Stacks are deep, there is a solid raise from EP and you have JJ, or TT.

What is your standard play and plan for post-flop?

I've tried re-raising pre-flop which wins you the original raise when you are ahead but costs you the chance to hit the flop and bust him when he comes over the top.

Smooth calling and playing it by ear post-flop which I prefer, but gets tough when all undercards come and you get bet into, you're back in the pre-flop situation. Raise and fold to a re-raise (which probably has cost you half your stack by now). or just call.
Old 07-31-2005, 10:22 PM

Default Re: Cheapest way to find out where you are

doesn't sound that deep if you're getting half in preflop on a reraise. I've been calling some but mostly based on how fast the structure gets. faster it is, more likely i commit lotta chips
Old 07-31-2005, 10:25 PM

We just discussed something related in this thread
Old 07-31-2005, 10:31 PM

Okay, I'll take a shot at it and hopefully some of the better tourney players will join in:

If the stacks are deep enough (20BB+, at least - though I'm sure a lot of people will disagree with that number - as you're getting an overlay from the blinds/antes/limpers if any) I'd smooth call pre-flop and smooth-call a raggy flop with the overpair. Overcards will give up the vast majority of the time after they get called on the flop unless they're extremely aggressive (which you'd know about to begin with, and have taken that into consideration), or hit some sort of a huge draw on the turn.

My instinct (quite possibly wrong, but...) is to try and check it down post-flop as I've unstacked - and gotten unstacked - people way too often with a weak check on the turn and their inevitable push all-in, and would HATE to be in those shoes.

Anyone else?

Kirk R.
Old 07-31-2005, 10:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
faster it is, more likely i commit lotta chips

[/ QUOTE ]

yup

[ QUOTE ]
try and check it down

[/ QUOTE ]

you've got JJ or TT...he has KQs or AQ or whatever.
flop is 952.
you really want to be giving free-cards here?

any over-card comes and you're going to cringe...especially because you COULD have had it earlier.

I don't have any real answers here.
I'm lazy and I just wing it.

Think I should be thinking about my tourney-game more?

It's kind of read and/or mood and/or hunch and/or stack-size dependent with me.
Sometimes I would be better off asking my magic 8-ball but it would just say 'it depends' and I already knew that.
Old 07-31-2005, 10:42 PM

I think this is the toughest decision in poker. But the odds with an ugly flop like that that you do have the best hand and have to bet 3/4 of the pot.
Old 07-31-2005, 10:54 PM

Well let's say it's 2nd level of a Super, he raises to 60 and you call. 150 in the pot. He bets 150 on the flop. I think you need to raise 400 min to make it a real raise, if he comes over the top and you started with 1000 folding here leaves you with 540.

So it kind of sucks to play it that way, but if you do it pre-flop, AK will surely re-raise and I'd hate to lay down against AK.
Old 07-31-2005, 10:56 PM

well mike's line from previous posts here is to call the flop and fold to a second bet, or sometimes the river bet depending on stacks and whatnot.
Old 07-31-2005, 11:21 PM

2nd Level is not particularly difficult. Call pre-flop, call flop, push the turn if the coast looks clear and he checks, fold if he bets. The OP didn't mention this, but I was thinking more like way down the line with 5k/10k blinds when you're already in the money or very close to it, and these decisions become a lot more interesting/painful.

Kirk R.
Old 07-31-2005, 11:31 PM

I like to re-pop PF w/ JJ and TT if I'm in position as it make the later streets easier to play. OOP, I'll flat call and proceed carefully trying to keep the pot small if the board is scary.

I re-pop because that gets me the lead and then I can let my opponent's imagination put me on a larger hand, then I can take down a lot of K or even A high flops with a cont-bet. I can also fold to a re-raise in good conscience.

I won't say this is the best way, but my playing style is usually playing pretty fast as I find that helps get my mosters paid off.

I fire a lot more cont-bets than you do, so this may not work for you.

Regards,
Woodguy