Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments

Old 07-31-2005, 08:04 PM

Default $10 party rebuy

I've really been trying to improve my MTT game lately and was doing okay in the today's $10 rebuy on party.

Here is the question(off the top of my head):
Blinds $1k/500
I'm in small blind with 14.5k after posting. Took a beating a few hands prior to lose 5k. Folds to me and I have A9 diamonds. BB has me covered by about 10k.
What would your preflop line look like?
Old 07-31-2005, 08:08 PM

Default Re: $10 party rebuy

push
Old 07-31-2005, 08:31 PM

Don't push. You don't need to make that big of a bet, and you're only going to get called when he has you in horrible shape.

I'd either just make a standard raise, and either call or fold to a push if that happens, depending on what i think of my opponent. Or I'd just complete the blind and take a flop.

colson10
Old 07-31-2005, 08:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd either just make a standard raise, and either call or fold to a push if that happens, depending on what i think of my opponent. Or I'd just complete the blind and take a flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

given normal conditions.. what would your order of magnitude be between raising/limping?

I often limp.. and it feels like a personal war vs "well, my ace is disguised, so if i flop an A, they wont put me on it" and b) if I miss the flop, they might outflop me.

If they are given to call too much, I will tend to limp rather then raise, as I have no position post flop, and if I can keep the pot small I should figure to be able to pick it up between the flop and the river.

This seems counter-intuitive, as I should figure to have the best hand, and therefore want them to call with a worse hand, but position is a bizitch.

If they are tight as a ducks whatever, I think the raise makes perfect sense, as you will pretty much know where you are.
Old 07-31-2005, 09:03 PM

Okay, I raised to 4k from the SB... the big blind reraised to 7k, now what is your line?
Old 07-31-2005, 09:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Okay, I raised to 4k from the SB... the big blind reraised to 7k, now what is your line?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is why I don't like the standard raise or limp. Maybe I'm uber aggressive in the blinds or play too many SnG's, but I hate getting reraised especially by KJ or KQ or possibly a weaker Ace. Yes, sometimes I will bust out here, but if I can get a fold with my push, then I can be a bit trickier with my limps and standard raises. This is one of my favorite parts of play- high blinds and blind battles. If I can set a precedent against the BB I really like it. I want to control the blinds, not him.

yabastid
Old 07-31-2005, 09:29 PM

Depends on the opponent. If they are unkown i'm probably leaning towards calling more, with this size stack.

Something to consider about playing blind vs blind is that while you are going to be "out of position" postflop when in the SB, you get to have first stab on each street. This can be a big advantage when playing sorta short stacks because for your opponent to put a move on you and outplay you, he's going to have to committ to your stack if you have a hand.

colson10
Old 07-31-2005, 09:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Either fold or pull a stop n go, depending on what you think your opponent has.

colson10
Old 07-31-2005, 09:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Something to consider about playing blind vs blind is that while you are going to be "out of position" postflop when in the SB, you get to have first stab on each street. This can be a big advantage when playing sorta short stacks because for your opponent to put a move on you and outplay you, he's going to have to committ to your stack if you have a hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Very true.. although I really only take this into account when the one and only move post flop would be a jam. Is this not taking advantage of "irish position" enough?
Old 08-01-2005, 11:21 AM

Unfortunately, this isn't the line I took, though I think if I had, it would have worked perfectly. I guess this a pretty standard line in this situation.
After his reraise, I pushed, thinking that he was just feeling me out to see if I was trying to steal his blind. He thought for quite some time and then called. He turned over an A 10. Flop came out 889, which would have been perfect for a stop and go and my A9 (but I am trying not to be too results oriented). Anyways, my 9's got busted by the river 10.