Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits

Old 07-19-2005, 04:25 AM

Default Bet or c/r the turn.

So, I still can't get the converter to work for me, either with or without "texas" in the HH, so I'm typing this one out by hand. PFR is TA pf but pretty passive and weak postflop. He is willing to lay down to aggression, and nutpeddles. None of the other players in this hand are anything above or below average PP players (too loose pf, cc too much, call down too much, not aggressive enough, etc.). My question is about the turn play, bet or c/r? Also, does anyone like a flop cr?

-Jaran

Preflop: Hero is in BB with 4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
UTG folds, UTG+1 raises, 3 folds, CO calls, Button calls, SB calls, Hero calls.

Flop: (9.5sb): A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
SB checks, Hero checks, UTG+1 bets, CO folds, Button calls, SB calls, Hero calls.

Turn: 3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
SB checks, Hero...
Old 07-19-2005, 04:31 AM

Default Re: Bet or c/r the turn.

Ide say with your relitave position to the bettor, I would go for the c/r. If you bet out on the turn, he might raise, losing all your payoff. If you check raise, he will either call thus allowing all the others who called his first turn bet to call, or 3 bet, (losing more players), but allowing you to cap.
Old 07-19-2005, 04:33 AM

This flop is a great place to check-raise. You make money off every bet that goes in, and if you're lucky you can buy a free card on the turn with your OOP check-raise. It doesn't happen too often, but it's a nice bonus to go with your value.

Turn I like a check-raise. UTG+1 will probably continue to bet, and if he doesn't, one of the guys behind him are likely too. If it does get checked through it's not catastrophic for you, there aren't too many draws to beat you.
Old 07-19-2005, 04:41 AM

Not really. You do have an equity edge of about 6.25% (8 outs) but if you check/raise, a couple of bad things might happen:

1. UTG+1 might 3-bet you. I know that doesn't really fit the read but if he happens to have a set, I can't imagine him not being super-aggressive with it. In the event that he 3-bets, he faces the other two opponents with calling two cold, which I doubt they both will, after a check/raise and a 3-bet. Bye bye, equity edge.

2. You get everybody to slow way down for when you make the nuts. Self-explanatory, I think.

I like a turn or river check/raise better when you make your hand.
Old 07-19-2005, 04:44 AM

I like a flop checkraise but I don't mind just calling since there are only 3 callers and you need 4 callers to CR for value.
If you do hit they will probably not put you on a straight so you can get almost unlimited action from a set. Well, you probably will anyway...
Turn checkraise: You would hate to have this checked through if UTG+1 doesn't have an A. You would also hate to bet and have UTG+1 raise to blast everyone out of the hand if they would have called one bet twice.
I say go for the checkraise but I would bet here in some games where everyone gets really passive on the big streets.
Old 07-19-2005, 05:13 AM

check raise
Old 07-19-2005, 05:33 AM

The reason I like a c/r on BOTH the flop and the turn is because it really masks your hand. Your c/r would represent a set or possible slow-played over pair to me if I were the orig. bettor. By c/r both times you mask your hand and if he calls the first c/r I cannot see him folding on the river and you will get an extra bet there.
Old 07-19-2005, 05:40 AM

I don't really like C/Ring the flop even though UTG+1 is weak postflop. If he has AA he 3-bets and blows everyone out. On the turn, since you just called the flop, you can pull off a supersexy checkraise with your straight. If I had a flush with 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] though I'd be inclined to bet out just like in SSH.
Old 07-19-2005, 05:46 AM

I like your flop play, a check/raise here might slow down a bit too much.

If you believe that UTG+1 may take a shot at it, the position is worth a c/r on the turn. You may have 3 out of the 4 call 2BB here which would defiantly help maximize your profit.

However, if UTG+1 is super aggressive, he may 3-bet or have made 2 pair with A-rag. Check/calling the turn and check/raise on the river might be appropriate, but I wouldn't play it that way here personally unless you have any reason to suspect a 3-bet on that turn.
Old 07-19-2005, 05:57 AM

It's great if UTG+1 3-bets, so hero can cap the turn or checkraise river.