Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-17-2005, 08:39 PM

Default Call All-in(s) with AK sooooooted?

Live 1-2 NL at Taj in Atlantic City

Hero is UTG+1 with A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

UTG opens for 15 (standard)
Hero raises to 40
MP pushes for ~90
table folds back to UTG who pushes for ~190
Hero has both opponents well covered. Your play?

Reads, which are important...
MP is a joke, his play does not signify a premium hand, and I am not at all concerned about him

UTG is a decent player (quite the anomaly for the donkfest that is my table). He is somewhat aggressive, but I was surprised that being raised twice did not slow him down at all.

Does it matter that the other players at my table are so bad I can easily find another spot to get my money in where I know I will be a huge favorite?

BTW, my image at the table should be TAG, but I am honestly not sure anyone is paying attention. I think the only hands I have shown are AQ and KK. I showed the kings after I reraised pf, got 2 callers, they checked to me on A high flop, I bet and took it down, then showed my cards. After the hand I had a brief discussion with UTG about what I would have done if he had come over the top on that flop.
Old 07-17-2005, 09:29 PM

Default Re: Call All-in(s) with AK sooooooted?

major fold PF after push
Old 07-17-2005, 09:33 PM

I fold this everytime. though I don't play games where the standard UTG raise is 8.5BB.

actually, I would have just called the 15$ preflop instead of reraising.
Old 07-17-2005, 09:48 PM

I think you have odds to call vs anything but AA, KK... can't tell if that's what he has though...
Old 07-17-2005, 10:16 PM

Some food for thought...

I am getting almost 2:1 to call, so even if I run into KK, it is not awful, assuming there is a chance he has a lesser holding.

Also, if you were UTG here do you take the same line with any of these hands QQ, JJ, AK?

EDIT: I did decide later that this was an easy fold, but for whatever reason I was never convinced at the time that UTG had me dominated.
Old 07-17-2005, 10:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Some food for thought...

I am getting almost 2:1 to call, so even if I run into KK, it is not awful, assuming there is a chance he has a lesser holding.

Also, if you were UTG here do you take the same line with any of these hands QQ, JJ, AK?

[/ QUOTE ]

Given this situation, I'd play QQ like this, and maybe JJ. If UTG knows that MP is a joke he can be pretty sure that he has the best of it heads up. Also since you are known to be tight he may hope that you don't have AA or KK and will fold to his push, leaving him at what he will feel is a coinflip most times with dead money.
Old 07-17-2005, 10:44 PM

There's such thing as AK sooooted? I thought it was 83 sooooted and Q4 sooooted.
Old 07-18-2005, 06:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Also since you are known to be tight he may hope that you don't have AA or KK and will fold to his push, leaving him at what he will feel is a coinflip most times with dead money.

[/ QUOTE ]

See, I thought since I had a tight image, he should not think I would reraise with a hand I am going to even consider folding. Although earlier when MP reaised my opening raise I put him all-in with AQ (he called with A7 [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] )
Old 07-18-2005, 06:32 AM

AKs PF to 2 re-raises, is easy muck, you're a coin flip to any pair at the minimum.

Like you said, better ops to crush them will come soon enough, be patient.

When they show duck duck and AKo you will be glad you mucked.

>TW<
Old 07-18-2005, 07:03 AM

Default Re: Call All-in(s) with AK sooooooted? RESULTS

Ok, so MP tabled 55, and UTG had QQ.

Flop would have been PERFECT for my hand K high, two spades.

Anyway, results oriented thinking aside, the A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] is just about the prettiest ever starting hand, and that almost made me call. That and UTG seemed a little too ready to get up from the table and go home as it was almost 6AM.

Thanks for the responses, I agree, this is an easy fold, but I definitely neede the reassurance after seeing I would have won the hand.