Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em

Old 07-11-2005, 11:24 PM

Default Limping AA UTG - 10 handed full ring?

You're dealt AA UTG in a full ring cash game. You have GameTime+, or whatever, open and you're looking at the average PFR for the table.

1) Do you EVER limp AA under the gun?

2) If yes, what sort of average PFR for the table would you limp here with, assuming that the main aggressors aren't the SB and BB? That's a player average, not the percentage of raised flops (this might be an interesting figure though). I think this is a tough one because we have two of the aces, meaning that AK, AQ is less likely.

I have a hand somewhere to go with this where I tried limping aces UTG with a table average of >6%. Had about four callers and then the BB bumped it ... which brings me to question 3!

3) So somebody raises and it comes back round to you. What now? A reraise here would seem to scream aces. In fact, this alone could be a reason not to limp in the first place.

I assume people try this with hands that aren't aces as well as aces. This would seem to be the LAG way of doing things, but I don't play LAG so well.
Old 07-11-2005, 11:34 PM

Default Re: Limping AA UTG - 10 handed full ring?

Every once in a while I'll limp w AA or KK UTG with the intention of reraising. Mostly I do this to set up the occasional resteal when I limp UTG with a hand like TT-88 or AQs. Again, I attempt both of these plays very rarely.
Old 07-12-2005, 12:00 AM

I never raise anything UTG, I just dont like that position, and I only raise AA on SB if there are more than 1 caller or if caller is calling station or bb is calling station.
Old 07-12-2005, 12:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I never raise anything UTG, I just dont like that position, and I only raise AA on SB if there are more than 1 caller or if caller is calling station or bb is calling station.

[/ QUOTE ]hows this strategy working out for you?
Old 07-12-2005, 12:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I never raise anything UTG, I just dont like that position,

[/ QUOTE ]

This strategy was very effective for me at the lower limits where people would always push my reraise with KK and sometimes much worse, and a call of my reraise would almost always be QQ, JJ, or AK. Once I hit $2/$4, the strategy became useless as a push almost always means AA and people are much less likely to pay off after the flop with KK and QQ.
Old 07-12-2005, 12:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]

hows this strategy working out for you?

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, I played this way for quite a while and still do occasionally if I feel the players are good and aggressive after me in a 9-10 handed game.

If it's a non-optimal style of play, it's not by much. I seriously never raised UTG or UTG + 1 for probably my 1rst 6 months of serious play after I got my a** kicked a couple times in bloated pots out of position.

There's always exceptions obviously, but my default play used to be to limp - i actually still do this a lot, as it allows me to limp w/ most pocket pairs and if at the right table suited connectors. I make a decent amount of money from EP, so i'm fine w/ the strategy.

I think super system advocates this style as well, which is why I started using it in the first place w/ very good results. Now I'm a little more flexible, but I still like limp-reraising a ton w/ many hands if stacks are less than 150 BB. People don't adjust to a limp-reraiser that well.
Old 07-12-2005, 01:22 AM

I limp practically all the time with AA and KK when in the early positions. I usually Raise 15%-20% of the time depending on my table image and my opponents styles. I find that my opponents start respecting my limps more often and are more timid to raise without a premium hand, allowing me to limp with weaker hands, especially low suited connectors (as well as surprise them when I do raise in early with my big pairs).
You always wanna keep your opponents guessing.
Old 07-12-2005, 01:23 AM

i usually just raise straight away UTG with pocket AA but occasionaly i like to check hoping for a raise and a couple of calls and then i go over the top with a BIG reraise hoping to isolate the initial raiser and drive out the calls. This is actually one of the few plays i have that works more often than not. And if things go well on the flop, ie..cards are low I lead in with a good bet which usually takes it right there.
Old 07-12-2005, 02:04 AM

you sure typed alot for saying absolutely nothing

if you limp reraise with AA/KK you should also do it with other hands as well such as suited connectors, middle pairs, AK etc

you cannot be predictable against intelligent opponents in NL

if you FIRST show a limp reraise with junk, youll get much better results on you AA/KK limp reraises

lesson over
Old 07-12-2005, 03:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
you sure typed alot for saying absolutely nothing

if you limp reraise with AA/KK you should also do it with other hands as well such as suited connectors, middle pairs, AK etc

you cannot be predictable against intelligent opponents in NL

if you FIRST show a limp reraise with junk, youll get much better results on you AA/KK limp reraises

lesson over

[/ QUOTE ]

Time to grab a drink bro and relax. I've read several posts from you today that are just way agro. Who cares if someone is posting nonesense? This is just a friendly reminder, be nice to the newbies! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]