Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-09-2005, 01:34 PM

Default what did my opponent have?

yeah I probably sucked to even play this hand but was I really best in on the flop?

Ultimate Bet 2/4 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is CO with 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, BB calls.

Flop: (6.50 SB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, MP1 folds, Hero calls.

Turn: (6.75 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (8.75 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB folds.

Final Pot: 9.75 BB
Old 06-09-2005, 01:38 PM

Default Re: what did my opponent have?

I would check behind on the river. He either bluffed the J, where he folds, or has you very beat and takes that BB from you, making this bet -EV. Other than that, nice hand.
Old 06-09-2005, 01:40 PM

If you're going to play 99 against a raise, you might as well 3-bet to get it HU and take control of the hand. (You would need a read that the blinds aren't too loose of course)

Did you have any reads on villain? I think most of the time I'm folding to the turn bet. Does anyone think that's way too weak? This smells like a big pocket pair to me, so I'm totally blown away by villain's river fold. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 06-09-2005, 01:40 PM

pf: 3bet, and this probably plays much different.
Old 06-09-2005, 01:41 PM

I have a question: Why are you betting the river? Do you think you are ahead after the flop and turn aggresson?
Old 06-09-2005, 01:42 PM

mp1 probably had overcards, BB looks like he may have had something like 34s or 68s? hard to know without any info on either of them. Not sure I like the cold call, in some cases it could be good, in some cases you should 3 bet, and others even fold. Need reads.
Old 06-09-2005, 01:52 PM

This is obviously just a guess, but I imagine BB has either A7 or a middle pocket pair (maybe 66). He probably figured that the Pre-Flop Raiser had overcards (which looks about right) and was hoping that he could knock him out and then drive you out on the turn. Since you didn't fold like he wanted, and both the turn and river brought overcards to his pair, he bailed on the river, rather than firing one more shot.
Old 06-09-2005, 01:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Did you have any reads on villain?

[/ QUOTE ]
too short into the session. there were long pauses between BB 3-bet on flop and MP1 fold, and also when BB faced river bet.

the more I think about it, the more I'm thinking busted draw. even a pair of sevens could have went to showdown. the river check was a shocking opportunity IMO and I took it.

should also note that just a few hands later, I got another weak postflop match with another player at the same table:

Ultimate Bet 2/4 Hold'em (8 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, UTG calls.

Flop: (7.50 SB) J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG calls.

Turn: (4.75 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

River: (6.75 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Final Pot: 8.75 BB
Old 06-09-2005, 02:08 PM

I'm guessing MP1 had K-Q or A-K. BB maybe with a 7 in the hole for a pair of 7s.
Definitely wouldn't fold pre-flop, I'm having a hard time deciding whether to raise (to try and eliminate BB) or call.
edit: thought about it for a few more minutes, and I think I would raise here. Not playing for set value, I want to get heads up, so I'm trying to eliminate BB. Going to have to hope raiser has overcards and not a high pocket pair. If he caps that will give me some pause. Although I would still see the flop regardless.
Old 06-09-2005, 02:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is obviously just a guess, but I imagine BB has either A7 or a middle pocket pair (maybe 66). He probably figured that the Pre-Flop Raiser had overcards (which looks about right) and was hoping that he could knock him out and then drive you out on the turn. Since you didn't fold like he wanted, and both the turn and river brought overcards to his pair, he bailed on the river, rather than firing one more shot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah - this is exactly what I was thinking too. I think MP1 probably has something like AJ, A10s, KQ, etc.