Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Old 05-27-2005, 02:24 AM

Default Re: $109 Bubble: 99 in BB --- what\'s my line?

[ QUOTE ]
to the OP: are you worried about having the best hand here, preserving the bubble so that you can bully, or losing an all in and being in danger of busting?

[/ QUOTE ]

rightly or wrongly, i was pretty confident that I had the best hand - UTG seemed to make smaller raises with pairs and bigger raises with big cards.

my concern was that if i lost a race, I'd be the 3rd stack and, while still ~2x the short stack, I would have ceded the control that my stack had given me and I'd now be subject from bullying from the 2 biggers stacks. this isn't usually something i worry about but since i'm trying to refine my tourney game, i was curious if it was something i SHOULD be worrying about (if that makes any sense).
Old 05-27-2005, 02:28 AM

I also adressed this in my post- he doesnt seem to be folding hands to all ins with KJ AJ K 10 A 10 ETC.. Ive been in so many SnG's where this type of player calls off his whole tourny with these marginals. and your misunderstanding my use of the word control. You should know that control doesnt necessarily have anything to do with coming over the top like that, especially considering pot size + his probable call. Control is this case is his skill level > other players. What sort of risk does folding here give him? none at all, his stack is still huge vs. BB.

Pushing is fine - I just hate the position of losing that coinflip. I have kind of responded to the situation in the assumption that the coinflip will be lost, which is obviously worst case and foolish on my part.
Old 05-27-2005, 02:35 AM

I don't mean this to be offending, but it doesn't sound like you have played too many $100s Patty (I haven't either btw)
Old 05-27-2005, 02:41 AM

Lol, I play them often. Where do you see the flaw in my logic? I admitted to it being a weak fold, but I think given the circumstances its fine BECAUSE I THINK I AM BETTER and can find a better spot.
Old 05-27-2005, 02:47 AM

i see the point you guys are putting up that maybe a fold is a good idea because all the chippies you could win. if hes gonna call when i push and i know this then i would call and push the flop.. but if he would fold if i push now with any hand like KJ Axs then im gonna push..or fold 99 in the bb good idea

but i guess the fold idea might be a good one
Old 05-27-2005, 02:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I also adressed this in my post- he doesnt seem to be folding hands to all ins with KJ AJ K 10 A 10 ETC.. Ive been in so many SnG's where this type of player calls off his whole tourny with these marginals. and your misunderstanding my use of the word control. You should know that control doesnt necessarily have anything to do with coming over the top like that, especially considering pot size + his probable call. Control is this case is his skill level > other players. What sort of risk does folding here give him? none at all, his stack is still huge vs. BB.

Pushing is fine - I just hate the position of losing that coinflip. I have kind of responded to the situation in the assumption that the coinflip will be lost, which is obviously worst case and foolish on my part.

[/ QUOTE ]

I understand your points, but I think pushing is the only real play here. You have pointed out (rightly so) that pushing over the top here is +EV, but that you'd rather pick another spot because you're a better player. Well, the way I see it, I'm going to take this awesome +EV opportunity and have a good chance of picking up an extra t1200 or busting this guy right here. And yes, I do generally consider myself one of the best (if not the best at the levels I play at) at the table.

You see this play as a lack of control, and I see this play as a good way to put myself in a dominating (read "controlling") position ITM.
Old 05-27-2005, 03:06 AM

Nice post Das.. I see this as a conflict in perspective, as I do respect your proposed play. I think either play is acceptable with appropriate reasoning. I almost exclusively make this play because of blind size. Anyways gluck
Old 05-27-2005, 03:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Nice post Das.. I see this as a conflict in perspective, as I do respect your proposed play. I think either play is acceptable with appropriate reasoning. I almost exclusively make this play because of blind size. Anyways gluck

[/ QUOTE ]

Agree to disagree? Anyways, good luck to you as well. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]