Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-13-2005, 02:56 AM

Default How\'s this resteal line?

I've been consciously trying to resteal more from aggro stacks that have me covered, but will be crippled if i double through them.

So, here's a sample from the 'stars $11r. I'll post the line and the reasoning. This is from the 'stars $11r, and we're all barely ITM. Something like 95 left, 99 paid. Obviously I want to make the final table, and I'm willing to gambool to get there. My read on the CO is that he's quite aggro, as he's stolen and/or restolen 5 times in about 15 hands. My table image is probably a little looser than I'd like it to be for this play, but...

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t4000 (8 handed) converter

CO (t185442)
Button (t262759)
SB (t44590)
Hero (t151848)
UTG (t59966)
UTG+1 (t10274)
MP1 (t52667)
MP2 (t16405)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises to t8000</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t24000</font>, CO calls t16000.

Flop: (t50800) 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t40000</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises to t161242</font>, Hero calls t87648 (All-In).

Ok, here's the rationale. Preflop, I'm trying to represent a big hand, obviously. I vacillate between making it 24k and 30k, and decide on 24k because I'd like to be able to get away from this if it should backfire. Should I have raised more preflop on the resteal? I was giving him a little better than 2:1, perhaps I should have cut that down more?

Also, is A8o a hand with which one wants to resteal? I figure if he pops me back it's an easy fold, because then i can reduce his range to a better ace or a PP better than 77. The problem comes when we see a Axx flop, but I guess one can worry about that later, I guess. I'm really just trying to take the pot down now and send the message that he cannot steal from me with impunity.

On the flop, I have to make the continuation bet here, right? Is this a good size? I probably should have gone lower, to something like 30k or even 25k, because then I can fold to a push. I don't think that he'll fold any pocket pair bigger than 44 here, but I'm thinking I can get him to fold a bigger ace if he has one.

Also, I have to call when he pushes here, in my opinion, due to the too-large continuation bet. I'm getting 2.5:1 and I'm almost always going to have at least 8 outs, maybe even 11. Or maybe even the best hand, because I certainly don't put it past this particular player to make this play with K-high, hoping to get me to fold the unpaired ace.

Results...who cares about results, am i rite? I'm just wondering if there was perhaps too much gambool in these preflop and flop plays, when I was top 15 in chips, though I certainly could not have coasted my way to the final table (or even the final 2-3 tables). I figure if I win, I'm a monster chip leader with a very good shot at making the final table.
Old 05-13-2005, 01:17 PM

Default Re: How\'s this resteal line?

Bump. Please tell me how big a fish I am when I get a decent-sized stack. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 05-13-2005, 01:24 PM

I like your play, maybe 32k is better, of course is much better to try a resteal with position.

About the flop, if you decided to call if he push, then it's better to go all in right away, because if you bet something like 40k, he may think that he can make you fold by pushing. So if you're calling anyway, don't give him that option.
Old 05-13-2005, 01:35 PM

I have a little trouble with the AX as the hand to do it with. Unless your image is worse than you thought, or he is a complete maniac, you are only getting called in very bad shape vs his range of hands. I have been trying this move more with middle suited connectors, 1 gappers, etc, and of course premium hands.

Post flop, if you are going to call the push, just push. It may look like you are trying to buy the pot, but he still wont be able to call with a big Ace. A moderate bet gives him too much hope that you missed the flop and will lay down to a push.

The resteal is a powerful tool to accumulate chips in the middle-end stages of a MTT. The problem is that it is very risky. You will run into AA on occasion.
Old 05-13-2005, 02:02 PM

I would raise more preflop so that I get more chips when I push on the flop. And this is a great flop to push on [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 05-13-2005, 03:34 PM

Thanks for the replies. I think the biggest mistake I made was not raising more preflop. I really should have concentrated on taking the pot down there so I wouldn't have to play a flop out of position with a weak ace.

On the flop, there's no real way I'm laying down, so I guess I should have just jammed to begin with. Live and learn.
Old 05-13-2005, 03:58 PM

that pretty well sums it up....

very good example of a resteal hand, but I have to agree here that you dont want to show this hand down so raise more preflop, and push this flop. The bigger raise preflop makes a push on the flop look less of a overbet pot steal also.