Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-03-2005, 02:23 AM

Default Stealer hits piece of flop, gets bet into...

At first a friend of mine insisted I played this poorly, and I was (and pretty sure) I did as well. But I'm starting to justify the action in my head.

Anyway, 'stars $11R, a couple minutes after the 3rd break, so there's still about 80-90 who have to bust before everyone's ITM. I have a little above the average stack with 55k, and I had come back from dead last (T195 with the BB at 400). So I was feeling special (i.e. drunk on being a luckbox). Read on SB is that he's a little looser and a little more passive preflop than average, but he's only been here 2 orbits or so, so I haven't really seen him play postflop. The BB had never failed to fold to a steal attempt, so I figured I had a good shot at the steal. Feel free to criticise preflop play as well as posit a postflop play. Without further ado...

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t3000 (9 handed) converter

SB (t43850)
BB (t30575)
UTG (t7381)
UTG+1 (t80382)
MP1 (t57440)
MP2 (t51700)
MP3 (t109650)
Hero (t57037)
Button (t42940)

Preflop: Hero is CO with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t9000</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB calls t7500, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>.

Flop: (t22350) 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets t9000</font>, Hero ?
Old 05-03-2005, 02:45 AM

Default Re: Stealer hits piece of flop, gets bet into...

I would have to grab my sack and move in on him and hope he folds. He can be making this bet with any small to medium pair figuring the flop had to miss you.

This could also be a complete bluff figuring the pot missed you and he's trying to buy it right here.

There's a good chance you're ahead right here and even if he has a pair of 88'/99's you may get him to fold. I would expect a bigger pair would have reraised PF and a made hand like a set would typically look to checkraise you or trap you.

there are too many chips in that pot with your stack size to play this weak. I don't think calling is an option as it looks weak and gets you no information and any reraise pretty much commits you so its push or fold in my opinion.
Old 05-03-2005, 07:44 AM

Stop and think

What
Would
Humberto
Do

AWL EEEEEN!
Old 05-03-2005, 09:03 AM

Push and win.
Old 05-03-2005, 04:30 PM

Now that I think about this hand, it seems more and more routine and uninteresting. I jammed, he turned over TT and it held.

What I couldn't stop thinking about was whether or not this was a "lose-lose" jam, and whether I was being aggro for the sake of aggression itself instead of being aggro for the right reasons.

My thought process at the time was that this player was savvy enough to fire out a bet with two unpaired high cards in the hope that my hand missed. I acted fairly quickly in jamming, and really discounted the idea that he could have an overpair. Also, I figured that my A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] might give me a redraw. I also thought he might fold 88-99 there, as I had shown aggression on both streets and had a fairly tight image.

The problem I had is that any hand he calls with has me either down to 6 outs (overpair) or on the bad end of a coinflip (flush draw + 2 overs), or drawing to running hearts (if he has a set). He only folds hands I'm ahead of (unless he's playing 87 from the SB or something, which is possible, but doubtful). But I guess he's making this weak lead with stuff he'll fold enough for this jam to be profitable.

Actually, the real problem is that I need to work on my reads and that I need to stop being results-oriented. Time to slap myself.
Old 05-03-2005, 04:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would have to grab my sack and move in on him and hope he folds.

[/ QUOTE ]

This might hurt though