Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits

Old 01-14-2005, 01:28 AM

Default LP cold call AXs vs. LAG = 29.50 BB

Hero - VP$IP 24.39, PFR 8.54
MP3 - VP$IP 55.18, PFR 11.63, table coach, fishbowl tapper
SB - VP$IP 51.06, PFR -0-, W$SD 27%

ok to cold call? post flop?

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is CO with 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG folds, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 calls, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 raises</font>, Hero calls, Button folds, SB calls, BB folds, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 calls.

Flop: (11 SB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, UTG+1 checks, UTG+2 checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB 3-bets</font>, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 folds, MP3 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, SB calls, MP3 calls.

Turn: (11.50 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 bets</font>, Hero calls, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 3-bets</font>, Hero calls, <font color="#CC3333">SB caps</font>, MP3 calls, Hero calls.

River: (23.50 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, MP3 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises</font>, MP3 calls, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 29.50 BB

(don't worry I made it all back...)
Old 01-14-2005, 02:06 AM

Default Re: LP cold call AXs vs. LAG = 29.50 BB

I like to have another caller to make this call preflop. Flop cap is okay given that you can take a free one. Bad river card, but there is nothing you can do. It is really hard to check behind in that spot, but you made the right play by not 3-betting the river.

Brad
Old 01-14-2005, 03:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
ok to cold call?

[/ QUOTE ]

I might have let it go, but I don't think it's bad. I would have liked a better kicker (say A8s)

[ QUOTE ]

Flop: (11 SB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, UTG+1 checks, UTG+2 checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>...

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a bad bad raise and I think you should consider yourself fortunate that SB had plans on this hand. I would just call because a raise shuts everyone else out of the hand (well... usually) by forcing them to call two bets cold.

SB pulled a trifecta on you... how embarassing. Since his numbers look so fishy, I would have checked that river with the board pairing. I think his flop check-3-bet and turn check-raise-cap makes for a solid set indicator.
Old 01-14-2005, 03:19 AM

SB lost the hand too. MP3 nailed pocket JJ to SB's 66.
Old 01-14-2005, 03:20 AM

I'm not sure if I'd call the flop raise THAT bad. our ace is good x percent of the time. I would like to increase x. I may get a free card. maybe they all coldcall, and I get equity.

however, Joe Tall replied to a post of mine saying essentially what you are saying, that the money from building the pot for your draw is more desirable than cleaning up outs and possibly getting a free card and you should just call. someone bust out SSH and lay down the law here.
Old 01-14-2005, 03:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not sure if I'd call the flop raise THAT bad. our ace is good x percent of the time. I would like to increase x. I may get a free card. maybe they all coldcall, and I get equity.

[/ QUOTE ]

I strongly favor just calling because LAG isn't crazy LAG. 12% PFR can be a lot of things, but it's not as if he's raising every hand. I don't know how much I really believe that an ace high is good here, and I seriously doubt it's nearly often enough to offset the money you lose by not having lots of contributions from other players. Even if he raised some other Ax, odds are he has you beat! You're most likely chasing and need to hit an out to improve. Also, you open yourself up to an expensive 3-bet and turn bet with a hand which very likely needs to improve (1-x of the time, in fact).

Cleaning up outs? Maybe... But I'm against this because you're only clearing up your ace outs (meaning a 2-outer if you actually do clean it up). With two overs, cleaning up your pair outs is more meaningful. With two overs and the condition that hitting your pair will likely bring an added draw, cleaning up outs is very important.
Old 01-14-2005, 03:50 AM

"With two overs and the condition that hitting your pair will likely bring an added draw, cleaning up outs is very important."

word to that.
Old 01-14-2005, 03:59 AM

this is obviously a topic that interests me, since I find myself posting in these flush draw posts a lot. After hearing a lot of the different points, I think SSHE's "Protecting draws and buying outs section (pgs 158-160) are pretty relevant, and I think I'm gonna keep making the raise. I really like your point though that it's more important to buy outs if you have two overcards.
Old 01-14-2005, 10:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Hero - VP$IP 24.39, PFR 8.54

[/ QUOTE ]

did anyone notice that?
Old 01-14-2005, 11:33 AM

just the groupies who keep following me around.

(it's called a single session)