Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-23-2004, 05:53 PM

Default Re: PC War Game Recommendations

So these are both FPS's? If so, what makes them better than the others out there?
Old 11-23-2004, 05:55 PM

http://www.hpssims.com

http://www.matrixgames.com

Steel Panthers: World At War is a free download from Matrix. It is a great game.
Old 11-23-2004, 05:56 PM

they are just fun man, easy to learn, lots of vehicles, fun online play. I didn't realize you don't like FPS, so forget what I said.
Old 11-23-2004, 05:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So these are both FPS's? If so, what makes them better than the others out there?

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't say they are the best FPS games out there. They are the best war style FPS games, however [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Old 11-23-2004, 06:02 PM

probably the funnest though. I played the demo like 2 years ago when it came out for 100's of hours, and that was only on one map! Really fun game though.
Old 11-23-2004, 06:05 PM

BF1942 is more action than strategy. When I think of a war game, this is not what I think about. It's like a war-themed FPS.
Old 11-23-2004, 06:05 PM

The new counterstrike. I can't believe no one has mentioned this one yet.
Old 11-23-2004, 06:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I prefer turn based to the RTS stuff like Warcraft but haven't purchased any RTS's for a couple years. If they've gotten away from the horde resources, build a million units and flatten the enemy style (I was usually getting flattened) and have more strategy I'd like to hear about them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Warcraft III is much more strategy-based than Warcraft II.

Most of my friends who were high ranked ladder players have gotten addicted to a mod called DOTA all-stars, though.

scrub
Old 11-23-2004, 06:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
they are just fun man, easy to learn, lots of vehicles, fun online play. I didn't realize you don't like FPS, so forget what I said.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not that I don't like them, it's that I have DOD and think it's a pretty good game. If there's an FPS out there that has different/better feature I'd like to know about it and why you think it's better. I found that all the RTS games started to blur together after a while and don't want to waste money/time on a FPS unless it comes highly recommended.
Old 11-23-2004, 06:11 PM

I'm an old Counter-Strike vet. I will always love that game. I started with it during beta v2.

They still had the ghosts back then, and that was a lot of fun. For those that don't know, when you die in CS you used to automatically go into a floating spectator mode (default is watching behind someone now). Back in the earlier betas of CS, you used to be able to interact with certain things while you were dead. We called this being a "ghost".

Basically, all you could do was open doors, and shine a flashlight from beyond. Still, it would freak people out if they were guarding a door and it just kept opening by itself. Or, they would keep trying to figure out where that damn light was coming from. Those were the days!

Unforunately, CS is a FPS as well. I think drac was looking for more of a turn based or RTS wargame.

Rome: Total War still tops my list for current strategy wargames. It may be real-time, but I've heard nothing but great things about it. [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]